Looking for a better rear tire

I want the tire with the best bite! I am looking at both Maxxis Maxx-Cross IT intermediate and the Maxxis Maxx-Cross Desert intermediate. Supposedly the desert version has longer knobs and has a harder compound(according to the rockymountainmc catalog). I want one that wears the best and has the best linear traction. If you think a different tire other than these two is better please share it with me. My bike is a 2003 yamaha yz450f. Ride on!:D

I want one that wears the best and has the best linear traction.
The Dunlop 756 corners a little better when new, and is significantly lighter, but for wear and straight line bite in a wide range of intermediate soils, you can't beat the Max Cross IT. The Desert model is mostly just a heavier carcass as I understood it. I hadn't heard of it being deeper.

The maxxis is great for the price $40 somthing But the OEM tire is the best for that Fstroke you have to pay a little more for it Do a lttle shopping and try to get a good price on a dunlap but the maxxis is at the best price :D

Right, Dunlop makes a "G" version of their tires that are specifically designed to be used on four-strokes, so they last longer. They come stock on all the new YZF's.

Personally, I think the Maxxcross Desert IT is perfect for your use. :D

http://www.rockymountainmc.com

The Dunlop 756 corners a little better when new, and is significantly lighter, but for wear and straight line bite in a wide range of intermediate soils, you can't beat the Max Cross IT. The Desert model is mostly just a heavier carcass as I understood it. I hadn't heard of it being deeper.

Grey, I thought that was interesting you said when new. I've got a little wear on my 756's and I noticed same thing, that it seemed to lose a lot of traction in the cornering. I'm curious to hear a couple more reports on the dunlop 952's

Right, Dunlop makes a "G" version of their tires that are specifically designed to be used on four-strokes, so they last longer. They come stock on all the new YZF's.

Personally, I think the Maxxcross Desert IT is perfect for your use. :D

http://www.rockymountainmc.com

Not to slam the Dunlops but I believe you are referring to the 739G. Worse tire I have ever ran! They say it is specifically designed for the 4-Stroke yet I ate mine up in about 6 rides on the MX Track and trails...

I agree the Maxiss IT is simply the best overall for performance and $$'s.

Not to slam the Dunlops but I believe you are referring to the 739G. Worse tire I have ever ran! They say it is specifically designed for the 4-Stroke yet I ate mine up in about 6 rides on the MX Track and trails...

I agree the Maxiss IT is simply the best overall for performance and $$'s.

Sorry, but that was you. Mine lasted almost a year of every week trail rides.

And I'm on the throttle, constantly. :D

I've always ran the Michelin Starcross, Intermediate terrain. It's a gnarly looking thing and gets super good bite in turns. The knobs stick way out on the sides....so when you lay it over it's like you are on rails...a good solid tire all around I think. You should check it out and compare it to the Maxxcross. Maybe you will dig it? I do! :D

thanks for your help ya'll...I just ordered a Maxx-Cross IT off rockymountainmc.com I decided to stick with 110/90/19 stock size instead of the 120/. Now I suppose I could ask, what would be the best intermediate terrain front tire to complement the rear tire of choice? I have the Dunlop 739 stock tire on right now. Is it a decent front tire? What would be better? thanks again :D