HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kawy

Should i buy a wr450f

33 posts in this topic

Hi, i have a kx250f right now, and i want to upgrade, i have been looking into the wr450f. Can you give me some info on the bike. How is it for power, comparable to say a cr450f, i imagine it would be geared different and what not, and someone told me the bikes where top heavy and felt very big, is this true. Has anyone jumped with it and if so how does it perform....basically can everyone just let me know what they think of the bike i would really appreciate that..THANKS!!!!

It is really heavy compared to motocross bikes, probably over 25kg or more compared to your kx250f. :D

It makes great power, just not half as snappy as a race bike since the heavy flywheel and cam timing. I put a Procircuit Ti GP race pipe on mine, it totally rips now. The maintenance is very low compared to your kx250f and the reliability is about 1000 times more!

If you want a race bike, buy a race bike. If you want something light, buy a two stroke like a ktm exc. If you want the greatest enduro bike on the planet,

buy a WR450F :D

The wr450 is a very quick bike. But as far as maneuverability it is a bear. Very top heavy so washing out is a high risk. A basic and simple way to sum it up is if you get it on a open straight away hold on tight, going in the woods and hitting berms you could possibly aways be behind a 450exc.

Buy one. Mr KTM failed to mention reliability and high priced parts when talking about his bike. I've owned both and I'll take the Yamaha :D

its a great bike - i bought one new this summer and let me tell you whats happen so far.

first seal leak after 2 or 3 rides, odometer didnt work after fall then started working again, rear stock tire kinda lame, electric start switch lost after fall, cracked clutch cover after hitting rock.

things it needs right off the bat - free mods, fuel screw, skid plate , and a different tire oh yea different air filter.

i have ridin mine hard but i feel it should be able to take considering i paid $6100 for it.

i also think the suspension is a little soft but i am a big fat ass.

Let me get this right...your complaining because stuff breaks when you crash??

Next you will be going on about how the engine stops just because thefuel tank is empty :D

The wr450 is a very quick bike. But as far as maneuverability it is a bear. Very top heavy so washing out is a high risk. A basic and simple way to sum it up is if you get it on a open straight away hold on tight, going in the woods and hitting berms you could possibly aways be behind a 450exc.

Ummm...The wr450f is bike of the year for 05, and the ktm 450exc isn't. :D

its a great bike - i bought one new this summer and let me tell you whats happen so far.

first seal leak after 2 or 3 rides, odometer didnt work after fall then started working again, rear stock tire kinda lame, electric start switch lost after fall, cracked clutch cover after hitting rock.

things it needs right off the bat - free mods, fuel screw, skid plate , and a different tire oh yea different air filter.

i have ridin mine hard but i feel it should be able to take considering i paid $6100 for it.

I'm scared of you. Maybe the wr450 is a little too much bike for you. May I suggest a xr100. :D

Sorry...I'm just having fun.

flatnacker - yes i am! dont you think it should hold up better? i do.

my falls havent been that hard.

will it stop if it runs out of gas?

Wow, all damage as a result of wrecks. Not bad. I dont wreck, mine is an 04, I did bend the brake lever over when it tipped over. So I guess if you keep the wheels down, you dont need to visit the parts house. Oh, and you'd paid about $7600 for the 450 EXC and the same stuff will break when wrecking. How much you pay for it has no relevance when it comes to breaking parts, only differecne is, the KTM stuff is much more spendy and much harder to get and takes way too long. And yes, I currently own 2 KTM's. Still waiting for parts for the SX65 I ordered 6 weeks ago.

Sure, they could make all the parts out of cast iron, but you'd be complaining its too heavy. :D:D

Hmmm maybe you have just been unlucky-I have always been amazed at how strong my bike is. I have had some huge offs, even cartwheeled it down a couple of hills with no drama :D

:D

:D

The WR is a great bike, and I enjoy whacking that throttle and dust'n off my Friends ktm 450 & LC4 640!

However, I do have a few gripes......

The FREE mods suck! I mean, if you are not willing, or don't have the confidence to do them, you may as well have bought a moped. What other bike do you spend over 6 grand on, and then immediately have to spend 3+ hours wrenching on? Not to mention the additional costs of a jetting kit.

Another gripe.....

Whats with the garbage kill and start switches? I have changed my kill switch to the yz style, and changed the start switch to the generic Moose round button switch that KTM and Suzuki puts on there bikes.

Ok, I'm done..... now watch some pansie take my post out of context and use it to justifie there reason for owning ___________ (fill in the blank). :D

I went through this thought process lately: two stroke vs 4 stroke

two stroke is lighter, but you have to add over 2 gallons to your 2 stroke gas tank to even get close to the range of the 450. 2.6 gal tank on a 450 will go 70 miles, 5 gal tank will go 70 miles on a 2 stroke. At 8 lbs a gallon plus the tank, your weight advantage starts to go away.

At a 50- 65 mile Hare Scrambles, I don't have to stop for gas and you would with a stock tank. You just lost 1 minute on me.

Just a thought.

The WR is a great bike, and I enjoy whacking that throttle and dust'n off my Friends ktm 450 & LC4 640!

However, I do have a few gripes......

The FREE mods suck! I mean, if you are not willing, or don't have the confidence to do them, you may as well have bought a moped. What other bike do you spend over 6 grand on, and then immediately have to spend 3+ hours wrenching on? Not to mention the additional costs of a jetting kit.

Another gripe.....

Whats with the garbage kill and start switches? I have changed my kill switch to the yz style, and changed the start switch to the generic Moose round button switch that KTM and Suzuki puts on there bikes.

Ok, I'm done..... now watch some pansie take my post out of context and use it to justifie there reason for owning ___________ (fill in the blank). :D

Ok...I will. If Yami sold the wr450 with all of the free mods already done, it would be a red sticker bike. There might have been some marketing behind that, ya think?? :D

Pansie

Ok...I will. If Yami sold the wr450 with all of the free mods already done, it would be a red sticker bike. There might have been some marketing behind that, ya think?? :D

Pansie

You own a WR.. Right? I meant a person would take my gripes and post them on another board, like KTM or Honda , as a reason to NOT own the WR.

And of course I am well aware why the WR is sold in it's de-smoged and chocked up condition. :D