DRZ400S seal behind front sprocket replacement

Wondering if anyone has experienced this seal failing. Mine just did after 700 miles of riding(both street and single track). I have an 04 and little mechanical experience with this bike. Is it possible to replace the seal once the sprocket is off or is it more labor intensive?

Thanks for your input

Wondering if anyone has experienced this seal failing. Mine just did after 700 miles of riding(both street and single track). I have an 04 and little mechanical experience with this bike. Is it possible to replace the seal once the sprocket is off or is it more labor intensive?

Thanks for your input

Yes,, common deal.. Is the counter shaft nut loose? (the one holding the sprocket on) Do a search,, you will find a lot of info,, Read some of it and fell free to come on in and ask questions.

There is an improved spacer and oilseal set available from several sources,E-Bay etc.

Or try "search this forum" better still I'll do it for you.

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/search.php?searchid=589850

Neil. :D

I've seen a stainless steel spacer for sale,, .. not sure that qualifies as "improved" :D

What "improved" seal are you referring to?

Replaced mine when it failed around 10000 miles, 20000 miles later no issues.

Used the oem replacement parts and red loctite after every sprocket swap.

That suckers is not coming off. Its a fairly easy/quick job.

There is a post with all the part numbers you need floating around.

Try a search for CS nut, etc. www.ronayers.com has a fiche to get them from also.

I've seen a stainless steel spacer for sale,, .. not sure that qualifies as "improved" :D

What "improved" seal are you referring to?

Sorry Bronco,

I meant "improved" as in a better quality spacer. i.e. harder steel, and better quality of machining. It also came with a twin lip oil seal.

The harder piece of steel is probably the most important bit, I fitted these parts at 3500 miles and the old spacer was already grooved.

I also fitted front and rear wheel spacers from the same source a few days ago, and found that at 5000 miles all three of the original spacers had the start of a groove worn in them, the front was worst, bad enough that I changed the seal as well.

Neil.

:D

Sorry Bronco,

I meant "improved" as in a better quality spacer. i.e. harder steel, and better quality of machining. It also came with a twin lip oil seal.

The harder piece of steel is probably the most important bit, I fitted these parts at 3500 miles and the old spacer was already grooved.

I also fitted front and rear wheel spacers from the same source a few days ago, and found that at 5000 miles all three of the original spacers had the start of a groove worn in them, the front was worst, bad enough that I changed the seal as well.

Neil.

:D

sounds like the same source i got mine off ,very good quality

i will get the wheel spacers too!!!!!

it can be hard to get the old seal out when replacing, i screwed 4 small wood screws into the old seal and pull it out that way.:D .better than messing around with a screwdriver,,,once done go and :D

my suzi dealer fitted mine during the first service :D

:eek:

I think, because I've had no issue its certain areas of the country which have corrosive mud. I rode Florida sand and never washed the bike and that seal has about 20,000 miles on it, the 1 st one had about 14,000 miles when I replaced out of fear reading here, but it was in excellent shape along with the spacer.

I've got a brand new spacer and seal, I may replace at the CS sprocket change, another 10,000 miles.

• 5 weeks later...