Quickshot install

I have purchased a Boyseen quickshot for my yzf426. I didn't look at how difficult it would be to remove the carb before I got it. Doh!

Is it possible to loosen the airbox and intake connections and turn the carb to get to the accelerator cover? I don't fancy taking the carb off as I'm sure i'll never get it back on and working ok.

You can't twist the carb because the hot start cable gets in the way. That is the most annoying part in removing and putting the carb back on anyways, since it has a stupid plastic nut that it is very easy to strip the threads on.

Damn, didn't notice yours was a 426. Hot start button right on the carb, right? Anyways, it will be hard to twist the carburetor enough, since the pump is on the "wrong" side and you will probably have the diaphragm and the o-rings drop from there.

Just remove the carb carefully after cleaning the surroundings as to not have any crap fall in and do it properly.

I just put the boyesen accel pump cover on last night as well.

I took my time and it wasn't too difficult to get the carb off, but reconnecting the throttle cables was a pain. I put the carb back on and it was a tight fit to get the cables back on. There is probably an easier way to do it, but I got them back on eventually.

I installed the quickshot. It feels much better, but the before/after tests weren't equal (street -v- dirt). Either way, the bike is way faster now (all free mods, exhaust and jetting) than it was stock, uncorked, un-jetted. It runs like a charm and I have no complaints

Anyway, I took my whole carb out 6 or 7 times while jetting, completely disassembled it, cleaned it, etc. Once you get it down, it's not that big a deal, maybe 5 to 10 minutes to get it out or in. It's a skill that can be easily mastered and is great if you like to jet for seasons or altitude.

• 2 weeks later...

Well how easy was that. I undone the carb from the air boot and intake. Push the air boot off and pulled the carb off. I didn't undo the throttle cables. Just let the carb hang there. The change took only a couple of minutes.

I couldn't believe how easy the bike started after. I did prime the carb first, I don't normally. It started 3rd kick when cold.

I can't wait to get it on the track to try it out. I've got an enduro to ride next weekend.

Come on get your hands dirty and take that carb off. Get your manual out and while you are at it go through and clean it. It is something you should know how to do. Keep track of your parts and the order you took them off and you should be just fine. :D

the easy way is to do it like the factory boys do it.

Loosen the airbox boot clamp at the carb, remove the seat, take the pipe/silencer bolts out, remove the subframe bolts and then pull the subframe, rear fender and airbox off the bike as one unit. Then you have all the room in the world to work on the carb.

It may sound like a lot but you can have the subframe/airbox off this way in less than 5 minutes.

After installing the quick shot, it still stalls when I blip the throttle.

I didn't change the diaphragm or the o-rings under the accel pump.

I've ordered these parts, should get them next week, hopefully that will fix the stalling.

Has anyone had the same type of problem?

Before installing the quick shot the bike started and ran great, still does with the quick shot, just have this annoying stalling issue when I blip the throttle.

After installing the quick shot, it still stalls when I blip the throttle.

I didn't change the diaphragm or the o-rings under the accel pump.

I've ordered these parts, should get them next week, hopefully that will fix the stalling.

Has anyone had the same type of problem?

Before installing the quick shot the bike started and ran great, still does with the quick shot, just have this annoying stalling issue when I blip the throttle.

you may want to talk to Dag at Boyesen...Your 01 may be affected by the leakjet. Do a search for this Quickshot/leakjet - there is a lot of info on this. But call Dag he will be able to tell you. :D

you may want to talk to Dag at Boyesen...Your 01 may be affected by the leakjet. Do a search for this Quickshot/leakjet - there is a lot of info on this. But call Dag he will be able to tell you. :D

I looked back at some of the posts (04-02-2005) and saw that you had purchased a leak jet, but found out it only applies to the WR bikes. I have a YZ426 so there won't be a leak jet. What was the result of you changing the diaphragm and O-rings after installing the quick shot cover? Did you ever have the problem with stalling and if so, did this modification fix it?

It took me about 10-15 minutes to install my Quickshot.I just removed the hot start and twisted the carb in the boot.

Also I LOVE the little brass screws.Is there a reason that yamaha cant put decent quality screws in the carb?

Yes, the brass screws are a PITA....be sure and get a good screwdriver for breaking the screws free.