Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bigmutha

Top speed of a 650r

15 posts in this topic

In the USA the stock gearing is 14/48= 99.7mph if the bike is tuned to put out 40hp @ 8,200rpm. The stock uncorked bike just runs out of ponies before it gets to the rev limiter to pull that speed with a 200 pound person on the bike. Doesn't take much to get the horsepower to pull it though.

I have had my 650cc XR650R with header/muffler, UNI holes in the air box cover, Mikuni TM40, bigger rear tire to 102mph with a GPS and the bike was cycling the rev limiter.

As a 680cc bike I have hit 118mph+ (15/47 gearing)

http://xr650r.borynack.com/GearingcalcXR650R.xls

I ran 15/46 in the Baja 500 (680cc). There was one long straight dirt road where I was hitting the rev limiter hard. Don't know how fast that was, but I didn't want to go any faster.

not sure if the 650's gearbox is the same as the 600's but my old XR600R with 15/47 would hit 101MPH according to my Garmin GPSV. I do remember reading the article of dirtbike mag stateing that both the XR600R and 650R can break 100 out of the box :D

In my experience, a stock XR600R simply wont pull 100 mph (160 km/h). I've run gearing ranging from 14/50 to 15/45 and the best the beast will offer is around 145 km/h which is around 90 mph.

However, the XR650R stock derestricted with dirt gearing (14/48) will easily top the magic 100 mph (160 kph). I once even geared the bike up using 14/41 toothed sprockets and saw 175 kph on a particularly flat, long road. On a dirt-bike, this is scary, these things have some tow!

My basicly stock 87 XR600 was clocked at 94 m.p.h. across el Mirage a couple months ago. Can't imagine anyone wanting to go any faster. The engine was screaming at me for mercy (I showed it none :D )

Funny thing is that riding normally, my bike uses very little oil. I made several passes that morning and used a quart of oil by the time the day was over. Time for rings?

My stock 650R does close to 100mph (uncorked).

I switch between two sets of wheels for street/dirt and the bike is lots of fun on the road with sticky rubber.

I really wish it had a 6th gear though. Does anyone know of an aftermarket 6-speed tranny for this bike? That would be perfection.

4Takt

Try 16/46 gearing.....sidewinder sprockets has the 16 tooth counter shaft sprocket and the rear you can get anywhere.

Un corked with 17" wheel tire combo seems about perfect!

Not sure of top speed but unless you are on the track it is more than enough!

My 650R hit 105 mph on GPS , the Trail Tech was reading 104, on the road, it seems slow since my XX is only in second gear at that speed but it's fast enough for a dirtbike, it's uncorked, full exhaust , airbox mod and jetted a bit rich, with 15/45 gearing. I'm hoping for a little more when the cool weather gets here.

I was wondering the top speed of an uncorked 650r with stock gearing.

Corked or uncorked... Rev limited (8200 RPM) to 99.5 MPH with stock tires.

My 04 xr 650 L will go 104-105. Not stock but I would suprise an R.

Ok... The gloves are off. With one extra tooth on the counter shaft sprocket and the B.D. rev limiter set to 8500. 110 mph. :D

32194375-L.jpg

Ok... The gloves are off. With one extra tooth on the counter shaft sprocket and the B.D. rev limiter set to 8500. 110 mph. :eek:

32194375-L.jpg

True if you have the 48hp to get to the rev limiter.

I had my 680cc bike pegged with 15/47 gearing 120/100 tire and might of cycled the limiter a little but, when I looked real fast at the GPS it had turned off from the vibration. :D I was on Zoo road by San Felipi and held it wide open for quite a few miles on the staight, never let off. so I might have got it close to 115~118. I put out 58rwhp max @ 7,200rpm and 52rwhp @ 8,200rpm with all my gear on I am about 210# and it is a slight up hill going northwest there. Slight brease at my back (coming off the ocean). I think I almost broke the speed of sound :D:D:eek:

True if you have the 48hp to get to the rev limiter.

So very true. Enter the term "Drag Limited". :D