HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dckgmiller

Simply Green to clean air filter question

27 posts in this topic

I’ve read on here that several people use Simply Green to clean their air filters. I used it and it worked great. But, I’ve rinsed the air filter with warm water three different times, for several minutes each time and I can still smell the distinct odor of the Simply Green.

Is this a problem? If so, do I just keep rinsing and rinsing with water? Or should I try rinsing Kerosene or some other solvent?

Thanks

Simple Green might be a little harsh for a stock filter ( if that is what you're talking about). A mild detergent like dish soap might be better. Rub it in, nice and sudsy, and rinse...mmmmmmm good. :D

Also, since Simple Green is a degreaser, it might resist the filter oil. :D

Dawn dish liquid is the way to go. Cleans all dirt and oil and doesnt the resist new filter oil.

yup :D

I'm a big Simple Green fan but what I've found is that certain filter oils compliment SG's cleaning formula and get air filters clean while other types of oils are Kryptonite to Simple Green :D . We should document what oils work and don't work with SG...

I am sold on No Toil. I can get my filter clean as new with little effort. It's great stuff. Also the filter oil is very tacky and is now available in spray.

so after you clean the filter , is there a faster way to dry it so you dont sit around all day??

so after you clean the filter , is there a faster way to dry it so you dont sit around all day??

Yes,

The trick is to have 3 filters. That way you always have a clean one.

Yes,

The trick is to have 3 filters. That way you always have a clean one.

Amen to that :D

I have been cleaning my air filters this way for over twenty years:

Soak and rinse thoroughly with gasoline, and ring out. Soak with 10W30 oil and ring out. Put back in you bike and haul ass. Done in two minutes.

quick dry needed, hang filter in front of small fan. I have 2 filters and rotate them. I always have a clean one ready to go. I also started to throw away old filters that are a couple of years old, I figure you never really get all the sand out, so after a couple of years just throw it away and get a new one. :D

The trick is to have 3 filters.

And then you wait until all three are dirty, and clean them all ot once. Just collect the dirty ones in a plastic bag and throw them in the corner until its time to wash.

I have been cleaning my air filters this way for over twenty years:

Soak and rinse thoroughly with gasoline, and ring out. Soak with 10W30 oil and ring out. Put back in you bike and haul ass. Done in two minutes.

Gas is too harsh and will cause your filter to deteriorate.

10w300 will ooze down your filter leaving the top of it dryer than it should be.

One more vote for no toil

Have any of you guys tried washing filters in the washing machine like on the no toil website? I did yesterday. WOW!! Filters looked like brand new. I used some no toil cleaner and a bit of laundry detergent. I wonder if laundry detergent alone would work ok? No toil is expensive.

Jimbo

Have any of you guys tried washing filters in the washing machine like on the no toil website? I did yesterday. WOW!! Filters looked like brand new. I used some no toil cleaner and a bit of laundry detergent. I wonder if laundry detergent alone would work ok? No toil is expensive.

Jimbo

Oh yeah, right buddy. I'll bet our wives/girl friends will like all of their clothes coming out of the washer smelling like no toil or anything else we've put on those air filters!!! :D:D Real smooth.

DISH SOAP, DISH SOAP, DISH SOAP. It's not that difficult...As far as I'm concerned, it works better and safer than anything else I have ever used. And us men don't have to buy it...the girls do!! :D hehehe

I'm a big Simple Green fan but what I've found is that certain filter oils compliment SG's cleaning formula and get air filters clean while other types of oils are Kryptonite to Simple Green :D . We should document what oils work and don't work with SG...

Bel Ray doesnt work with it. but Bel Ray is even a pain to clean off with gasoline. Bel ray is the stickyest filter oil I have ever used.

I wash mine in mineral turpentine then leave to dry over night (laziness creeping in!).

I dab a bit of oil on the filter, place it in a plastic bag then squeeze the oil through.

I don't get crap all over my hands and it is sealed ready for when I need it.

I have been using Motul airfilter oil and it isn't that bad at all.

Just don't put too much on as a little goes a long way.

Oh yeah, right buddy. I'll bet our wives/girl friends will like all of their clothes coming out of the washer smelling like no toil or anything else we've put on those air filters!!! :D:D Real smooth.

DISH SOAP, DISH SOAP, DISH SOAP. It's not that difficult...As far as I'm concerned, it works better and safer than anything else I have ever used. And us men don't have to buy it...the girls do!! :D hehehe

Dude,

That's the awesome thing about no toil... it is bio degradable. Once I pulled the filters out of the machine, there was no residue and no smell. However, I did run an empty load with hot water just in case!

Jimbo

wash with simple green and use k&n spray oil-have been doing this for along time with excellent results-2 strokes -4 strokes no problems.