Oil Level/Clear Tube

Hi all, I've seen pics of XR650Rs that had a clear tube at the right side of the frame head to allow you to see the oil level.

Can anybody tell me how this is done? Do you just replace the standard hose with a clear one or how does this work?

Thanks, 4Takt

I just saw a link to another forum of someone doing this :D I can't find it now :D It was real detailed with lots of pictures :D I'll keep looking.

Hi all, I've seen pics of XR650Rs that had a clear tube at the right side of the frame head to allow you to see the oil level.

Can anybody tell me how this is done? Do you just replace the standard hose with a clear one or how does this work?

Thanks, 4Takt

https://www.bajadesigns.com/NET/SearchByCategory.aspx?CategoryCode=oilsit

Modeled after Team Honda's Baja racebikes, this kit is designed to allow quick oil level checks with no disassembly whatsoever. A great option for bikes that have stabilizers whose tower assembly blocks oil filler access. Kit includes aircraft quality compression fittings, high temp. sight tube, drill bit, tap, & sealing compound.

Note that this kit requires drilling & tapping of the bike's frame. It should be installed by an experienced mechanic. All necessary tools and hardware are included with detailed installation instructions. Please call or email with any questions.

Works Good :D:D

Thanks for the replies.

I'd be worried about the metal shavings in the frame though.

4Takt

I just bought the elbow fittings for about $20 from the local swagelok distributor, do a google search if you want more info.

CAP on adv rider is going to help me put it all together in a couple weeks. I can't wait.

It's the drilling part I want help with.

Thanks for the replies.

4Takt

Drilling slowly with a heavy grease on the end of the drill bit keeps most of the shavings out.

A fill, drain, and refill with fresh oil should take out the rest.

If there was anything left to worry about the first screen should take care of it.

Thanks for the replies.

4Takt

Theirs A Screen At The Bottom Of The Down Tube That Will Catch All The Stuff. Also Put Lots Of Grease On Tap. :D:D

O.k., I see how this works now.

Wouldn't it be more elegant to use something like this:

http://www.jwwinco.com/products/section12/en650_650.3/index.html

4Takt

That looks pretty nice, I disabled my cookies so I was unable to go past the first page.

You should throw that idea around the internet and see if anyone's willing to try it out. Or test it out yourself, create a kit, help out some riders and make some dough.

For now I'm going to use the site tube since I already have a thermometer, I have the parts, and I'm in my budget. Also the site tube has been field tested by many people and race teams, and if there was any failure I could fix it quickly and easily.

O.k., I see how this works now.

Wouldn't it be more elegant to use something like this:

http://www.jwwinco.com/products/section12/en650_650.3/index.html

4Takt

I would rather use the rubber tube rather than a hard plastic tube. The rubber would be flexible a would take hits from rocks or falls better IMO. Kritter here on TT was putting together a kit to do this. I think Scotts and XR's only might sell a kit also.

This would look sweet, but it looks to me like it has to have a nut on the back side of the tube inlet. I don't think you can do that.