XR650 'R' versus 'L'

Seems to me that XR's stood at the pinacle of four stroke high performance long before it was even fashionable...or at least until they started calling "XL" models "XR's"! :D

Yeah Triumph, and those XR's were air-cooled RFVC engines! The L is closer to a genuine XR than your re-vamped R! Drop the label, look at the motor. Does any other XR have that? It should have its own designation!

P.S. I'm not pissed at anyone. Just pushin' back at ya hard!!

Yeah Triumph, and those XR's were air-cooled RFVC engines! The L is closer to a genuine XR than your re-vamped R! Drop the label, look at the motor. Does any other XR have that? It should have its own designation!

That is the point. The XR650"L" is an XR600L with a starter that didn't move forward but, has even less power, even though it has more displacement. :D The cam is a joke :D It barely opens the valves. Just adding a cam adds 5hp. The Carburetor is a CV carburetor used for street bikes. It opens the slide by vacuum not by throttle cable. The BASIC engine is a great engine but, less power then a XL600 and even less then a XR600R. The suspension went backwards. It is sad when there are stock 400's with more power and better suspension then the XR650L. It seems most XR650"L" riders get upset by the facts and then start yelling, "Leave us alone" Yes, it can be so much more! The "L" is what was left over from the old XR technology and some are happy with that but, it is no longer a viable contender in the niche that the original XR was made for. Fun bike for a certain type of rider but, no longer a race bike. The XR600 was a race bike and as a XR600R and XR628R it won some awesome races. The KX500 started stomping it to often and the XR650R was born. These same facts will be throwen at XR650R riders in a few years from now. Bikes are being dreamed up fast that will make the heavy, low power to weight ratio XR650R bike a race bike of the past. I hope I am still able to make the next open class "XR" type bike, find the edge before I am to old or to hurt. :D

I can't help it. I still like it. Just like Jay Leno likes his old classics, I like my bike, no matter what's better. Nothing's perfect, and there's always the bigger and better and faster, etc. You can chase that stuff your whole life, I guess! If I ever moved to a place where I could practice for Baja, I'd get an R. But if I'm ridin' in town and on the trail, the L works great, looks great. I eat drivers off the line, zip around cars, and maneuver wonderfully. I've never been riding around going, "Geez, I really wish I had more power, so I can roast around on the street like a total disrespectful dickwad. That would be supreme!" I've never been on a trail where I'd want an R over an L. The more you guys cut it up, the more I like it! Whatever's left of it, you're not driving a genuine XR!

And what's wrong with a streetbike carb? Last I saw, most non-fule-injected streetbikes had pretty decent acceleration!

And what's wrong with a streetbike carb? Last I saw, most non-fule-injected streetbikes had pretty decent acceleration!

There is nothing wrong with it for the riding you do. Or want to do. Nothing at all. Now once you get into "G" outs drop offs and rough stuff the Carburetor SUCKS! It loads up. Falls on it's face, just not made for all that bouncing around and going from full on and off and back on in a hurry.

Same with the bike, it fits what you want to do perfect. That is never the point when bench racing bikes. Or comparing what will do what. Once it's personal it's no longer comparing bikes but, talking about how much you like the bike you bought. For you that is important but, for those that are looking for facts of what the differences are in the bike it means very little. I ride tons of different bike through the year and sometimes I find a setup that makes me think, "WoW that sure dose that better then my bike" but, it maybe to twitchy for me for the long haul but, I sure do like the KTM 525. Or the Husenburg 650 sure has some awesome power and handles like a dream. They have there draw backs but, that is what is compared. No one is saying everyone with a XR650L would be better off with a XR650R and most that buy a XR650R buy it to push the limit. There are some that could do the same riding on a XR650L that they are doing on a "R" and maybe that is what they should have bought but, they love there "R". There are lots that bought a "R" and found out it was just way to much bike and sell it with almost no miles on it. My best friend did that. Then Bought a XR400 and was happy.

I can't help it. I still like it. Just like Jay Leno likes his old classics, I like my bike, no matter what's better. Nothing's perfect, and there's always the bigger and better and faster, etc. You can chase that stuff your whole life, I guess! If I ever moved to a place where I could practice for Baja, I'd get an R. But if I'm ridin' in town and on the trail, the L works great, looks great. I eat drivers off the line, zip around cars, and maneuver wonderfully. I've never been riding around going, "Geez, I really wish I had more power, so I can roast around on the street like a total disrespectful dickwad. That would be supreme!" I've never been on a trail where I'd want an R over an L. The more you guys cut it up, the more I like it! Whatever's left of it, you're not driving a genuine XR!

One can only assume that from most of your comments about riding off road that you have VERY little experience in the dirt.

One can only assume that from most of your comments about riding off road that you have VERY little experience in the dirt.

That's not true, when we ride our L's we get a face full of dirt from everyone in front of us :D Nothing like a smile that's full of dirt :D

That's not true, when we ride our L's we get a face full of dirt from everyone in front of us :D Nothing like a smile that's full of dirt :eek:

If you rode the "R" You would be the one up front and everyone would be eating your dirt.. :D:D ...

Lets just all ride together........ :eek:

most that buy a XR650R buy it to push the limit.

:D:D

couldn't have said it better myself.

And, for all you L riders out there, I've been considering buying an L as soon as the R is paid off and done with, just so I can have a more... relaxed... bike to cruise around on. Its too hard to keep the R at slow speeds, you hear the bark of the pipe and the feel of the power and all you want to do is give it more. Next thing you know you're in fifth gear flying down the dirt at 100+ mph.

couldn't have said it better myself.

And, for all you L riders out there, I've been considering buying an L as soon as the R is paid off and done with, just so I can have a more... relaxed... bike to cruise around on. Its too hard to keep the R at slow speeds, you hear the bark of the pipe and the feel of the power and all you want to do is give it more. Next thing you know you're in fifth gear flying down the dirt at 100+ mph.

Well that's all well and good when you're in the dirt, the problem I have is hearing that bark and using the cars in front of me as a tabletop and railing around corners using the curbs as a berm :D

Okay, vmaxcbr900blahblahblahIdon'townanXR. Yes, I could use some additional dirt experience, if I had time. Apparently, from your quote below, you choose to save some time in the dirt for a little Glamour mag reading, and, well, uh, who knows what else:

Have you not kept up with what's going on? Blow jobs are considered less intimate than kissing according to an article I read a couple months ago. Casual sexual activity seems to be more the norm.

Sounds like you'll be switching away from guzzling, will you? :D

By the way, maybe you can inform us all of what colours will be hot this fall! :D

But, apparently even your Glamour prep couldn't get you screwed:

As far as character, I didn't get laid until I was 19 in college.

Sure sounds like a character issue to me :D

Depends what you're gunna use it fer! The 'R' is a rip snortin, bad mutha which will fook your world. Complete bollox in the mud and hilarious on dry trails. Fragile and can empty your pockets. The 'L' is a mud pluggin plodder, simple but effective. I recommend the 'R' and grin all the way to the A&E.

Okay, vmaxcbr900blahblahblahIdon'townanXR. Yes, I could use some additional dirt experience, if I had time. Apparently, from your quote below, you choose to save some time in the dirt for a little Glamour mag reading, and, well, uh, who knows what else:

Sounds like you'll be switching away from guzzling, will you? :eek:

By the way, maybe you can inform us all of what colours will be hot this fall! :D

But, apparently even your Glamour prep couldn't get you screwed:

Sure sounds like a character issue to me :D

Why not quote the whole thing?

oh. well. but i think it IS ok for 16 yr olds to have sex. i don't know what all the fuss is about. most everyone i knew became sexually active around 15-17, and it was perfectly normal. a girl didn't become 'very popular' because she has having sex with her boyfriend. it was just sort of assumed that's what most girlfriends and boyfriends did. sheesh. what changed since i was in high school? i think today's kids are at least as smart and sophisticated as i was at that age.

maybe you guys were total dirtbags when you were that age or something, so you've been more exposed to that side of things. i only had sex with girls i was seriously dating over the long-term. i guess i sort of assumed that's what we were talking about, but it seems like some of you are talking about random casual irresponsible sex or something. says something about y'all's character i guess. lol.

My response.

Have you not kept up with what's going on? Blow jobs are considered less intimate than kissing according to an article I read a couple months ago. Casual sexual activity seems to be more the norm. This whole thread was about a guy who's having sex with his EX girlfriend.

As far as character, I didn't get laid until I was 19 in college. My choice and it was a long term relationship as were most of my others. I did have high school friends and eventually college roommates who would say or do anything to get laid. Way more guys like that even at the high school level than the way I was.

This was an article on MSN. In addition I read MSNBC, Local Paper, watch the news, etc. so I learn what's going on in the world. You should try educating yourself sometime. It should help reduce some of your asinine comments.

I'm guessing you're one of those guys who took it up the ass a lot?

Was this before or after you skull ****ed your sister in the head?

Okay, I never got caught in bed with a girl, but my [older] sister found a used rubber of mine under her pillow one day!

I had this little habit of removing them and tying a knot in the end before falling asleep. Ooops :D

My response.

This was an article on MSN. In addition I read MSNBC, Local Paper, watch the news, etc. so I learn what's going on in the world. You should try educating yourself sometime. It should help reduce some of your asinine comments.

Absolutely. The L is an updated air cooled RFVC 1980's "XL." Yes, the XL had that motor too...which right there says much about the relative focus of these bikes! It is the dual sport successor aiming at the same target as it's predessor, not the pure dirt XR's. Unfortunately Honda loves the marketing name games, calling XR's (even Z-50's) CRFs, XL's as XR's...not helping here!

The L does what it's made for well. Again, I really don't see how these bikes compete with each other unless you have no clue as to your riding conditions and requirement! :D

That is the point. The XR650"L" is an XR600L with a starter that didn't move forward but, has even less power, even though it has more displacement.
" I really don't see how these bikes compete with each other unless you have no clue as to your riding conditions and requirement! " :D

Very Accurate, Mr Huntmaster. I own them both, they are not comparable. The L is a very simple, low compression, softly suspended extraordinalrily dependable bike that will run forever if left alone. The R is a a horsepower and torque machine that goes very fast, and with gobs of excitement. Both great in their niches which are very different.

My response.

Dude, you are in the wrong forum, place, and have made a complete dik of yourself.Don't let the door kick you in the ass........................ :D:D

Dude, you are in the wrong forum, place, and have made a complete dik of yourself.Don't let the door kick you in the ass........................ :D:D

Sorry if I'm pissing you off. This guy's taking statements I made in a separate forum out of context trying to rip on me. :D

No hard feelings.

I have a 650 L. The motor has a hotcam. The stock carb is working the best it ever has. ( stock pilot, 165 main, 5/32 drilled slide-DYNOJET spring and dynojet needle)Took some time and different parts but the little motor seems to pull hard. Wheelies in all gears with 15/48 gearing. The bike has lightened maybe 15-20 pounds. Suspension is set-up to jump fair size stuff. Handles pretty good. Stops good. Starts great.

Now, I am very happy with the bike overall.

I am looking for power and speed and I think i may be able to get a little more power with a big bore motor and such and such.

Do I sell my 04 650 L and buy a 650 R?

?????

Seems it was you who forgot to look at the motor! As someone else noted the XL models were air-cooled RFVC engines...back in the 80's!

And they were all dual purpose bikes like the "L". XR's were always pure off-road bikes like the current "R" model until Honda got unclear on the concept! :D

No wonder people are struggling here.... and insistant in comparing two dis-similar machines!