New too fourstrokers, easy question though

Hi guys, I used to race 2001 yz125 back in 2000-2001 and was very good rider, and we moved but want to get back into riding. I also want to ride something totally different then a 125 so a 2006 YZ450F should be perfect for me.

Ok heres the question, kinda... my dad had a 2 stroke KTM380 that I would play on once in awhile, totally hauled ass and was fun as hell to pin it all the time, but I could never start the thing! I mean kicking it over was a total bitch (really stiff) and I could never spin it fast enough to get it to fire. My dad who is 6' 6 270lb could start it, but would tear his boots all up, and sometimes violently kick back resulting in plenty of f' words..

Ok the real question, will a 2006 yz450f be this friggin hard to kick over?? 70cc's more to push :D I couldnt ride my dads bike on the track because if I layed it over and killed it, I couldnt kick it hard enough to fire! Oh and it was so much fun to haul ass on :D

oh ya Im like 5 11 170 lbs pretty strong too!! couldnt understand why I couldnt start that damn thing, was practially brand new bike too

5' 11'' 170 pounds, you will not have any problems cranking this bike. Do a search for "the drill" in this forum that tells you how. You'll just need to get used to it.

They are easy to start.... Just don't stab at it like it's a 2 stroke, full kicks with no throttle..... :D My buddies 12 yr old was out riding mine the other day, he would have to stop at a stump to reach, but he could kick it right over, he's about a 110lbs...

The kick stroke shouldn't be any longer than your dads old 380 and with the auto decomp its a snap, just look for "the drill"

They don't kick like the old XR's or KLX 650's of old.

I'm 5'10 170, average strength and i can one kick mine even after an all day ride.

5' 11'' 170 pounds, you will not have any problems cranking this bike. Do a search for "the drill" in this forum that tells you how. You'll just need to get used to it.

There is no drill on the new bikes. Only the 98-02 400/426/250F required this "drill". With the introduction of the 2003 models, Yamaha put in an auto-decompression cam that eliminates the need for the decrompression lever and unique starting technique.

The bike will not be hard to kick. At 170lbs, you'll be fine.

There is no drill on the new bikes. Only the 98-02 400/426/250F required this "drill". With the introduction of the 2003 models, Yamaha put in an auto-decompression cam that eliminates the need for the decrompression lever and unique starting technique.

The bike will not be hard to kick. At 170lbs, you'll be fine.

You're right. I had 426 on the brain when reading it.

Hey dude, I have a 2005 yamaha 450 and it is comparable to starting my CR-250. I find it very easy. It has an automatic decompression and it is a snap. It is considerably easier than the earlier 426's. I can start it sitting on the seat. Remember, when it is hot or I should say warm, use the hot start lever and you should have no problem. At 170 lbs you are going to fly. This bike truely rips. I am 6'3" and 210 pounds and this thing wants to pull my arms off. Ride safe.

Aaron Francois

thanks guys, wasnt sure because that 380 was so hard that extra cc's kind of worried me. :D cant wait for the 06's

I can start my yz 470f with my hand :D and my wrist is not that great guz i broke it a while back :D and a new 06 450 will out handle that 380 :D hurry up and order it now the first one's are going fast

im 6 foot and 150 pounds and i can kick it over its sorta hard