Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
djo269

smoke rising from header on start-ups

8 posts in this topic

What does the smoke rising from the header mean? I thought I hope its not a valve burning up!? :D

Oh yeah, I might have had some liquid standing on the header. I changed the oil and probably touched the header with my oily hands. I bet that is what it was, you think?

If you don't have a TT decomp plug installed, make sure you didn't lose the factory plug right above the exhaust header,

Oh yeah, I might have had some liquid standing on the header. I changed the oil and probably touched the header with my oily hands. I bet that is what it was, you think?

Thats it most likely. There is no other reason it would smoke. Mechanical engine damage wont effect the header, at least not the outside of it.

I also get some smoke after a wash and its just the soap residue burning off.

I wouldn't worry about it, especially if you said that you grabbed it with oily hands.

that has nothing to do with your valves, your either leaking coolant or oil and the smoke means it is burning off on the header pipe. its more than likely some oil from your hands got on the head pipe during an oil change though.

What does the smoke rising from the header mean?
(don't say it Gray, come on, I know you think it's funny, and somebody will get a laugh, but don't be an smartass, alright? Gray,... no man, Gray....)

It means it's HOT!

Sorry, I just couldn't help it. I'm going to my room now. :D