Help !

Ok Guys, I know this has been discussed but can't find it in the tech section, so please forgive me. Abuddy took my 03 wr450 round the block for a spin the other day and it died on him...well he killed the battery trying to start it so I picked him and the bike up brought it home and puta new plug in it trickle charged the battery and still no-go cranks good and occasionally will get a backfire through the exhaust but will not fire. I have read some posts about the starter just spinning and im fairly sure that is not the problem because the engine is turning over. You guys have saved my butt on more than one occasion and here I am turning to you once again! any help or info you can give I would reallllly appreciate. Thanks, Joe

Have you got fuel? Is the fuel turned on? Probs like this always start with the basics-all it really needs is air, fuel and spark. After checking the fuel take the plug out and check the spark, oh and kick it-mine hates starting cold on the battery :D

Have you got fuel? Is the fuel turned on? Probs like this always start with the basics-all it really needs is air, fuel and spark. After checking the fuel take the plug out and check the spark, oh and kick it-mine hates starting cold on the battery :D

Fuel is turned on I would think if there was no spark it would not be backfiring out of the exhaust.I just put in a new plug gapped at what svc manual calls for.

Try giving it a kick.

I did last night the only thing that happened was a backfire, which leads me to believe that there is spark and that there may be some timing issue. but would like to confirm that with someone on TT before I take to my local dlr who is notorious for taking 3-4 wks to fix a bike. I would like to ride somemore before the summer ends !

If I hear you correctly the bike was running around the block and then stopped.. To me that says Fuel.. But you've got to take that plug out and make sure it's getting spark, if it is then you have a fuel problem. I just don't think it's a timing issue because the bike was running fine when it died right?... Something's in that carb blocking fuel, either that or it's the petcock that is clogged. Was the bike sitting? Just yesterday I tried starting another bike of mine, even though I changed out the gas in the tank I had some bad gas still in the carb and wouldn't start, I cleaned everything out and she runs like a champ... Sometimes crap gets in these carbs and we all know how sensitive they are..

just a guess...

Dan

I'm not trying to be a smart A@@@, but, go out to the bike, hit the ignition switch, pull the choke out and kick it over and see what happens. If I try to start mine cold with te e button it back fires like crazy, so, I ust don't do that, it will start after 2 or 3 kicks every time, after it's warm it starts right up with the e button every time. Even my local dealer can't explain it but it works fine so I don't worry about it. They're so easy to kick over, the button is just an added convenience (although I do so enjoy having it there when my friends are stalling their 2 strokes and kicking like crazy in the heat). And I just push the magic button.

If I hear you correctly the bike was running around the block and then stopped.. To me that says Fuel.. But you've got to take that plug out and make sure it's getting spark, if it is then you have a fuel problem. I just don't think it's a timing issue because the bike was running fine when it died right?... Something's in that carb blocking fuel, either that or it's the petcock that is clogged. Was the bike sitting? Just yesterday I tried starting another bike of mine, even though I changed out the gas in the tank I had some bad gas still in the carb and wouldn't start, I cleaned everything out and she runs like a champ... Sometimes crap gets in these carbs and we all know how sensitive they are..

just a guess...

Dan

Good suggestion Dan, I will check it out tonight when I get home from work. I will check all that you mentioned however, the gas is less than a month old and the bike is kept in the garage but I am willing to try everything. Yes, It was running great when it stopped running.

I'm not trying to be a smart A@@@, but, go out to the bike, hit the ignition switch, pull the choke out and kick it over and see what happens. If I try to start mine cold with te e button it back fires like crazy, so, I ust don't do that, it will start after 2 or 3 kicks every time, after it's warm it starts right up with the e button every time. Even my local dealer can't explain it but it works fine so I don't worry about it. They're so easy to kick over, the button is just an added convenience (although I do so enjoy having it there when my friends are stalling their 2 strokes and kicking like crazy in the heat). And I just push the magic button.

It's all good Orangeman! (smarta$$) I did that last night after I read your first reply. Tonight when I get home from work I am going to try again.

Thanks