Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
426_Pilot

Best piston for 426?

20 posts in this topic

I'm going to do the top end on my 01 426 and was curious what brand piston you would recommend. My bike is stock with a Yosh pipe and has been bulletproof forever. I bunged up my shoulder and will finally have some down time to do the top end, valves, etc. Thanks in advance.

i would go with standard or wiseco. ... as you said the bike was bullet proof with the standard one so why change. I am doing the top end in my 426 and will be putting a standard piston and rings in too.

I went with the Wiseco 13.5:1 compression ratio. Its louder (piston slap) and harder to start, but she'll try to rip your arms out of socket right off idle. I'm happy with the Wiseco.

I just re-did my piston, rings, wrist pin, etc. I went with OEM. All of it came to a total of $195. I noticed that you can get WISECO for $125. Next time i'm gonna go WISECO.

195 is actually a pretty good price, and you know you are getting the OEM quality. Im not saying that Weisco doesnt produce a good product, but I have had and know people who have issues with their piston skirts, at least in the 2 stroke industry. I just rebuilt mine 2 weeks ago, and walked out with a $160 bill and that was with an employee discount. If I didnt have the discount, it would have been $273 for the Piston, Wrist pin, Clips, head gasket, and cylinder base gasket, and rings. I asked the same question, and posded the same reply as to picking up a Weisco kit for $129, and I was strongly urged to get OEM..

Just my .02 cents

I went with the Wiseco 13.5:1 compression ratio. Its louder (piston slap) and harder to start, but she'll try to rip your arms out of socket right off idle. I'm happy with the Wiseco.

Ditto.

from what i have heard, WISECO sucks

I've never heard that here. As a matter of fact, the opposite, and there is more than enough running to back it up. Their pistons are forged and stronger. God help us if we let another American manufacturing company survive.

195 is actually a pretty good price, and you know you are getting the OEM quality. Im not saying that Weisco doesnt produce a good product, but I have had and know people who have issues with their piston skirts, at least in the 2 stroke industry. I just rebuilt mine 2 weeks ago, and walked out with a $160 bill and that was with an employee discount. If I didnt have the discount, it would have been $273 for the Piston, Wrist pin, Clips, head gasket, and cylinder base gasket, and rings. I asked the same question, and posded the same reply as to picking up a Weisco kit for $129, and I was strongly urged to get OEM. .

Just my .02 cents

It was a good price. I get a racer's discount. But money is tight.

I actually get 30% off, sometimes it varies depending on aftermarket items. OEM seems to be the biggest discount. When I did the 450 Cam mod, they sold it for $153, and I got it for $93. But, when I checked on getting Asterisk 's through them, I only saved like $5 bucks per brace. Its still a pretty good deal, most of the time i can still get prices that are well under advertised sale items....

I have used wiesco pistions and never had problems, i have had problems with stock. Wiesco is the better choice. :D

When you say you changed the piston for standard one.

Do you actually replace the piston by one of the same dimension or do you go to first oversize and get the cylinder rebored ?

Is installing a new standard piston(and rings/pin etc) enough for a rebuild ?

I changed to an auto decomp cam last winter and although I'm very pleased with the result, I'm tempted to change my titanium valve train for stainless ones. I beleive a piston change would be advisable, that's why I ask.

i put in a 13.5:1 wiseco back in december and havent had any problems with it. it's not too much harder to start and plus the auto-decomp hot cam it's really easy. plus, there is definately a difference in power! :D

I can vouch for the quality of the 444 kit from Lukes racing. Millenium does the bore and plating and they supply a Wiseco piston and Cometic gasket kit for $350 shipped. It was cheaper for me the get this kit than go with an OEM jug & piston.