HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kinsman

Oil usage 650L

6 posts in this topic

I have a 94 650L with about 13,000 miles.

I notice that after a couple hundred miles I need to add about half a quart or so of oil.

Seem like too much?

I dont think it is. I just changed my oil and filter yesterday and added 2 1/2 quarts. Owners man. calls for 2.06? Trust your dip stick :D JMHO

Mine started losing oil right after I installed the Acerics 6.0 gallon tank. No air can get under the tank and cool the oil that is in the frame. It probably uses about a quart every 600 miles commuting.

Mine started losing oil right after I installed the Acerics 6.0 gallon tank. No air can get under the tank and cool the oil that is in the frame. It probably uses about a quart every 600 miles commuting.

Hmmm..

I have the Clarke 4.7 tank and lose oil also. I can't hardly believe that its the heat thats causing it, but I don't know anything about motors so who knows.

That being said, would an oil cooler help keep from losing oil? I heard you can use one from an XR400 or something like that.

Here is a pic of an oil cooler setup

30341756-L.jpg

Summers Racing Components (SRC) sells a full kit that puts the XR400 oil cooler on XRs, including my XR650L .... will probably be my next mod .. (more $$$ in my bikes than my home) ... the bachelor's budget :D

Summers Racing Components (SRC) sells a full kit that puts the XR400 oil cooler on XRs, including my XR650L .... will probably be my next mod .. (more $$$ in my bikes than my home) ... the bachelor's budget :D

Its good to see others with their priorities straight!

Thanks for the tip, I'm going to look up those guys.