Oil usage 650L

I have a 94 650L with about 13,000 miles.

I notice that after a couple hundred miles I need to add about half a quart or so of oil.

Seem like too much?

I dont think it is. I just changed my oil and filter yesterday and added 2 1/2 quarts. Owners man. calls for 2.06? Trust your dip stick :D JMHO

Mine started losing oil right after I installed the Acerics 6.0 gallon tank. No air can get under the tank and cool the oil that is in the frame. It probably uses about a quart every 600 miles commuting.

Mine started losing oil right after I installed the Acerics 6.0 gallon tank. No air can get under the tank and cool the oil that is in the frame. It probably uses about a quart every 600 miles commuting.

Hmmm..

I have the Clarke 4.7 tank and lose oil also. I can't hardly believe that its the heat thats causing it, but I don't know anything about motors so who knows.

That being said, would an oil cooler help keep from losing oil? I heard you can use one from an XR400 or something like that.

Here is a pic of an oil cooler setup

30341756-L.jpg

Summers Racing Components (SRC) sells a full kit that puts the XR400 oil cooler on XRs, including my XR650L .... will probably be my next mod .. (more $$$ in my bikes than my home) ... the bachelor's budget :D

Summers Racing Components (SRC) sells a full kit that puts the XR400 oil cooler on XRs, including my XR650L .... will probably be my next mod .. (more $$$ in my bikes than my home) ... the bachelor's budget :D

Its good to see others with their priorities straight!

Thanks for the tip, I'm going to look up those guys.