using a 100/90/19 instead of 110/90/19 rear tire

would it be a good modification to the handling to change to a skinnier rear tire? what aspects good and bad would this affect?

Lighter rear wheel; Good.

Less Traction; Bad.

We're talking about a 400/426/450 here, right?

yes, i just bought a 2003 yz450f. i know some easy to do performance mods and putting a skinnier rear tire would be one of them i planned to do. like you said: to reduce weight mostly. i ride mostly hard packed tracks so i should be ok, deep loam stuff you probably want the wider tire i think.

If you want a lighter tire, use a D756. The 450 needs traction a lot worse than it needs a lighter rear wheel assembly, even on blue groove clay.

if ya go smaller its gonna wanna "wander" of "search for something to hook up /w/" when spinning the tire.

If you want a lighter tire, use a D756. The 450 needs traction a lot worse than it needs a lighter rear wheel assembly, even on blue groove clay.

I hate to disagree but the D756 is the worse tire I have ever seen...Try a Maxxiss IT. Twice the life and twice the hookup. I would never sacrifice a few ounces for durability and track-tability (not sure if this is even a word) I say take a healty Sh%t instead and get some good tread...

There's no question the IT lasts longer, and the straight line traction is actually better than the 756 most places. That's the tire I use. But the Maxxis is fairly heavy, so it doesn't fit as an alternative to going down a size to save weight. The 756 is one of the lightest tires you can get in that size, and a new one corners better the the Max. They do wear much faster, though.

But the fact still remains that a 100/90 just ain't enough tire for the YZ450.

But the fact still remains that a 100/90 just ain't enough tire for the YZ450.

I agree 100% on this one!

What about going "up" a size to a 120/90/19? That is if you don't care so much about the weight thing. A buddy of mine just went up a size on his CR450r and likes it. Will one fit on my '02 YZ426?

i used all sizes on my 03 450,the goods of a 120 is it gets out of ruts better but it robbed a noticable amount of power from my bike, the 100 was just to small for me, for you it might be differnt but i would stick to a 110, just my opinion

What about going "up" a size to a 120/90/19?
I run a 120/90 Maxxis IT everywhere unless I'm racing MX, in which case I'll run a 110 of one kind or other, depending on the track. Never noticed a power loss, though.

I picked up my rear swingarm with the wheel/tire attached since I was servicing my rear shock and man did it seem heavy compared to my 250f rear. Has anyone actually tried using a 100 series rear on the 450 to give an actual experience. I dont think you would lose too much traction especially in a linear acceleration but may lose some cornering stability. OK I have another question. My friend has a 2003 honda crf450r and the guy before him installed a 20 inch front tire replacing the 21 inch stock. The guy told him it helped with rake or trail or something. Would a 20 inch front make a yz450f a better handling bike too? Thats another mod I was considering...