HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Buenodude

Smoking problem?

5 posts in this topic

Have a 2000 XR650L - bought it for $2150 - 12500 miles. Smoked when I bought it - so thought it might need new valve guides, seals, etc. Spent $500 having XR's Only do thre head and it runs great. But - it's hard to start cold and when it starts - it smokes. Lasts about 3 minutes until it warms up and then it's fine. When I bought it the shop told me they replaced the piston - so when i stripped it down I checked the piston and rings out. Piston and rings looked OK - but cylinder looked weird, So - I honed the cylinder and threw the piston and rings back in.

I have about 250 miles on it now- runs great. Does anyone have any thoughts as to the smoking problem?

Thanks - Buenodude

I suspect the piston rings hadn't 'seated' yet ...also, if running synthetic oil in a brand-new rebuild, sometimes that delays ring-seating ... if that's what the culprit was, you should be good to go now :applause:

its your rings! i've had a couple of air cooled hondas that did the same thing, they still seem to last forever even if they smoke. i wouldn't worry about it until your in there next time.

Smoking upon starting and clearing up immediately is usually a valve seal leaking. Smoking until warm is often a sign of rings not seated. Smoking after it is warm when you gas it is a sign of worn rings. Gassing it and having slow acceleration is a sign you are riding a Honda :applause: