HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dtrip2

Chain Help

8 posts in this topic

I just purchased a 2005 WR450 for dual sport and a supermoto use. I have converted it to supermoto with the stock gearing. However, I have decided to change the rear sprocket, which will then require a shorter chain. I mainly ride motocross and have never had an O Ring chain, so the care and maintenance is new to me. I think I have figured that out with previous posts, however my next question is what tool do I need to press the stock chain apart? Is press fit better that a traditional master link? Can I put a master link in to ease removal? :applause:

Thank you for all your help.

Go to your local cycle shop and get a good chain breaker and master link (press on style is better than clip, esp for what your doing). Just be sure not to cut it too short. Make sure you get on rings in there too

Press fit or "rivet link" is the strongest way you can link a chain.

I am thinking about master linking my chain so I can pull it off to clean it properly.

o-ring chain requires less maintenance than non o-ring chain so you shouldn't need to soak it or anything cos there is lubricant trapped inside the o-rings. myself, i'd go the rivet link, just my $0.02.

It is true that riveted connecting links are stronger. However, I've been wrenching on my own bikes for over 30 years and have yet to have a clipped master link fail. For ease of maintenance & gearing changes I will replace the stock chain on my WR with a chain that has a clip style master.

I have an '03 450 in both SM and dirt setups, I use two chains and splitlinks in both, absolutely no problems so far. I took a grinder to the pins to start, then used a regular chain tool to finish the job off...

I just purchased a 2005 WR450 for dual sport and a supermoto use. I have converted it to supermoto with the stock gearing. However, I have decided to change the rear sprocket, which will then require a shorter chain. I mainly ride motocross and have never had an O Ring chain, so the care and maintenance is new to me. I think I have figured that out with previous posts, however my next question is what tool do I need to press the stock chain apart? Is press fit better that a traditional master link? Can I put a master link in to ease removal? :applause:

Thank you for all your help.

If your able to get it dual sported let us know.