Newbie on an 03 WR

Just wanted to say hi to everyone. I recently picked up a 2003 WR450 and I personally think this bike rocks. Previously owned a 2000 YZ250(stolen in Feb. from my garage). The woodruff key mod has not been made(and absolutely no problems, just had to add that). Here's a list of my mods.

All the freebies completed Pro taper bars

YZ Cam BRP 22mm offset triple clamps

Power now insert Scotts steering stabalizer

Zstart auto clutch BRP chain guide

BRP skid plate Spider grips

FMF T-4 exhaust FMF power bomb header

Moose hand guards Deval frame guards

Deval radiator guards Trail tech computer

Zip ty fuel screw CFC clutch cover

Rear spring 5.4 Magnetic drain plug

Seal savers Eline pipe guard

SDG tall seat Fastway F3 footpegs

Zip ty chain adjuster block kit Zip ty front fork bleed buttons

Also own a 2001 Yamaha Roadstar, 1977 Yamaha DT 400, and a 1991 Yamaha

PW50(my 18 month old daughters).

I've got lots of questions I'll be posting later. I want to enter my first enduro in January in Charleston SC with the WR.

Oh yea, I'm 41 yrs old 240 lbs, so any advice and I do mean any would be greatly appreciated. Been riding bikes for about 30 yrs but this will be my first time trying to do any kind of competition. Thanks, glad to be a part of this huge community of motorcycle enthusiasts.

From one 03WR450 Nu-B to another...good to see you. This board is the best thing you will see in all of those years of riding. It tells you all the things that you really do need vs. the pablum you see in the DB and DR magazines. God bless Ricky Carmichael and his sponsors, but as a non-MXer, I need info on my bike, my riding, and ways to make it all work so I can get out and ride instead of seeing just what other thing my wife thinks I should be doing. Can't tell you all the tips I have been able to use from the board. The heritage guys, especially the jetting gurus, should get many pats on the back for pecking on their keyboards like they do.

At about 205 myself [beefy as they say on the Dan Patrick show], the main thing I want to do is dial in the suspension, heavier rear shock for instance, but this bike is more amazing every damn time I ride it. The only area for improvement is the load I pour on to the seat! Welcome!

TM

Hey...forgot to tell you....I had the woodruff key done outside of the warranty [told it was non-tranferable as I was the second owner, bought it with 21 miles on it] My local Yamaha dealer did the fix for no charge. Try to work that angle if you can. Yamaha didn't make a lot of noise about it, but they quietly tried to fix the problem as it reflected badly on them. My serial number was one of the targets, though, [real low, within the range they thought the problem existed in] and that might have played into it to their benevolence.

TM

Welcome aboard! You can get tons of advise on just about everything on your new thumper and ways to spend money on it too :eek: but it sounds like you bike it already pretty loaded. Take the time to do a search before posting a question as it may have already been asked :applause:

I have an 03 has well, and I never had a problem withe key either, but I did the 04 upgrade. I would read some posts about this and think about performing the mod just in case. Its not to hard or that expensive. Some of the dealer fixes, were just a bandaid for the problem, and could actually have a even worse problems when a failure occurs. Welcome, and enjoy your 03, I LOVE mine. Cya Stinson

Orange Dude,

I'm about 200lbs and had to upgrade the suspension on my 03 450 (which I bought new). When you're ready to work on yours ping me. Maybe my experiences will be of some use...or not. Either way, welcome aboard.

hey seen you bought a 03 wr 450 i had the same bike with no motor trouble at all but if you kick it be careful not to let it kick back on you i broke my kick start stopper 3 times in 1 year and it is a expensive and hard to put in part because of where it is and yahama offered no help to how to solve the problem usually had to wait on hold for a hour to talk to someone but with the right suspension set up it is a great trail bike i just got fed up with yahama and sold that bike and bought a 06 crf450 x honda will say the yahama had more low end snap but i love the honda

03 trx400ex

01 trx450s forman

06 crf 450x

84 atc 110 lol my toy

84 250 suzuki quad runner odd ball of the group

I have an 03 has well, and I never had a problem withe key either, but I did the 04 upgrade. I would read some posts about this and think about performing the mod just in case. Its not to hard or that expensive. Some of the dealer fixes, were just a bandaid for the problem, and could actually have a even worse problems when a failure occurs. Welcome, and enjoy your 03, I LOVE mine. Cya Stinson

+1000. My 03 had quite a few miles on it when I took it in for the valves and the "bandaid". My w-key was beat all to hell and about to go.

They replaced it, I did some homework and pulled the idler gear. Cheaper than the upgrade and I don't mind kicking it "once":worthy: .

If you've ever stalled the bike and heard a "CLANK" that you've never heard before on another bike. That's your w-key taking a beating.