HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
djo269

A question about the new 5-speed coming.

5 posts in this topic

I have decided a 450 is what I need and was thinking about getting a 06' yz450. With the 5 speed gearing would that mean you would shift more than a 4 speed? I am a novice mx rider that enjoys not having to shift as much on my 02' yz250f as the 2strokes do. I like to stay in 3rd and 4th gears. I would consider a 03' thru 05' if a 4 speed means less shifting. Got roosted today on one of my favorite mx tracks by a 450 and man it hurts! lol

I have decided a 450 is what I need and was thinking about getting a 06' yz450. With the 5 speed gearing would that mean you would shift more than a 4 speed?

All indications so far are that 1st-3rd ratios will be the same, or nearly identical.

But even if these changed if you are smart enough to change sprockets to suit your particular track, which you should do whether you ride a 4 speed or 5 speed, it wouldn't matter.

In fact, if they sold a 3 speed this would more likely force you to change gearing and the point would be moot.

I thought I read that 1st-4th would be the same, but who knows...Let me try and double check that...

I think yamaha hit the nail on the head with a MX 4 speed!In the woods its different but I love the 4 speed on the tracks!!!!