Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
YZRob

My bike has no hit

21 posts in this topic

I just purchased a 2000 yz426. My brother has the same bike, but his seems to hit the power band alot harder then mine. I have a full T4 system, 45 pilot, and 165 main jet. The bike runs smooth and starts easy, very fast, just no hit when you get on it.

I have read on TT that the best pipe is the stock one. Maybe I should put it back on and see, but I was just curios if anybody else has had this issue.

Rob

Are you running the same gearing as your bro? Might be slightly different sprockets which dose change things a bit... Swap yours and his plastics round and hope he dosent notice :eek::applause:

My gearing is 13/51. his is 13/49. so you would think that mine would hit a harder down low or mid. Good idea with switching plastic :applause:

I've never felt this "hit" on mine either... I think it's a myth.

My bike just hauls ass from the bottom to the top.

My bike has a hard pull, but no hit whatsoever. It's a four stroke, Ive never ridden a four stroke that has a hit to it. Maybe his jetting is different?

I don't have the "hit" yet either, but I'm working on it. I think my bike had it before I smashede the full Ti race exhaust. I've got an E-series now and I'm still playing with the jets.

My buddies WR-450 has a sweet hit in the mid range. Of course, it's nothing compared to a 2 smoke, but it will pull the front end up sans clutch in most gears.

Lukejt

All things are relative. Did the people that think the YZ450F has "hit" ever ride a 500cc 2-stroke?

All things are relative. Did the people that think the YZ450F has "hit" ever ride a 500cc 2-stroke?

Nope, but I did ride an XR650 once...

:applause:

I did have a flywheel weight, and now a stator, so I suppose that would have a lot to do with it.

I've ridden an old RM250 though, it had a real mean hit and would really surprise ya (since I'm a 4 stoke person and only rode it for a couple minutes).

Lukejt

If you are running FMF Ti4 with a PowerBomb , the spike in the power band went away and was replaced by the broad, smooth power curve you described. If it's a another T4, I don't know, but it might have a similar effect. Another mod that will do the same thing is the use of a YZ450 exhaust cam.

The stock pipes are good, very good for stock exhausts, but they can be improved.

Having a "hit" in mid-curve like that is overrated. It might be thrilling and all, but it doesn't make the bike faster or easier to ride.

In fact, the so-called "hit" in a stock '03 YZ450 is actually a "soft spot" right before 8000 rpm. When you pass through it, the return of power feels like a hit.

And yes, the 426 has a hit, and yes, I've owned big two-strokes. My last one was a '94 CR500 we affectionately named "BFH" :applause:

Some hits are bigger than others.

I'd have to agree. My 400 doesn't have a "hit" really, its just arm-stretching, eyeball-flattening raw acceleration from idle to 8kprm. It did pull harder with my old PC t4, but my new FMF Q is pretty nice still. Thumpers aren't really supposed to have a "hit" as there is no traditional powerband, that's what makes them so great, any rpm makes useable power to the ground.

Running 12/49 gearing and a WR flywheel weight it'll still pull the tire up in 3rd and goes maybe 80 MPH pinned in 5th.

BlueRide :applause:

I can't even pull the front end up in first without using the clutch,or giving a good yank. I do some trail riding and try to loft up over a log and can't do it. I am used to 4 stroke power, still have my XR600 with mods(great power). I realize I have a motocrosser,and not a trail bike, But I think I should be able to give her a twist and get over anything.

I can't even pull the front end up in first without using the clutch,or giving a good yank. I do some trail riding and try to loft up over a log and can't do it. I am used to 4 stroke power, still have my XR600 with mods(great power). I realize I have a motocrosser,and not a trail bike, But I think I should be able to give her a twist and get over anything.

There is something madly wrong with your bike then...

I can get the front up in 3rd with throttle only. I have never had to use the clutch to get the front up, I just stab it and up she comes...

Maybe grayracer513 is onto something...

ive had my 01 yz426f for a couple of months now and it hauls from the bottom to the top but no hit i had a 89 kx 250 that had a huge hit but my 426 would kill it any day

Like said above hit is a relative thing!The part that bothers me is when you say you cant loft the front wheel. So many things could be happing here so I wont even try to guess but there is something BAD wrong!!! :applause:

Plenty of power, very fast, starts easy. I think I will check the timing, bike has tons of compression(can't kick it over without the lever). The guy I bought it from only trail rode it, and said the motor was completely rebuilt top to bottom last winter. Timing maybe the way to go.

Thanks for the replies.

Lifting the front wheel has not much to do with power. I had a friend that was able to wheelie my 1985XL80s in third gear no clutch many many years ago and I was not even able to do it in first gear... Wheelie is a rider thing, not bike's.

My 426 kills my buddy XR650 from 0-60mph on a drag race and I'm still not able to pull the front end no clutch in 2nd gear... see.... This same buddy can wheelie it in third no trouble.

First thing, race your buddy just to see if you really have less hit...

depending on the ground, tire, gearing and such stuffs can have a lot to do with how much of a hit you feel. 13-51 might just spin while 13-49 grabs... depends on the terrain...

Then, if your bike is significantly weaker, check the basics. Have the compression measured, and check the valve clearance. It is easy to do.

Once this is OK, jetting your bike properly is the last step. You can put it on the dyno for the occasion and see if there is a hole in the powerband...