Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Graffix50

Ticking 650L

13 posts in this topic

My 97 XR 650L has a tick at idle. I thought it could be the valves so I checked and only adjusted 1 very slightly, all others were right on.

It sounds like it's in the top end.

It has done this for ~1000 hard miles. I keep waiting for it to fail (big bore kit here I come) but it never dose.

Mabybe the decomp?

Anyone else have a tick at idle?

you don't say how many miles you have on that engine, but you may ask a knowledgeable ear to listen for a worn timing chain ... ? ... just a vague guess

There's a fellow I know that lost compression in the middle of 5MOH- turned out to be a piece of the auto-decompressor mechanism that went fugitive.

It could be something like that.

Can a valve have loosened up?

Dave

thats interesting... I get a tick and a whir from the e start now and again when its hot. Anyone know what can cause that? Could it be the same thing?

you don't say how many miles you have on that engine
4,600 miles, still a young motor.
There's a fellow I know that lost compression in the middle of 5MOH- turned out to be a piece of the auto-decompressor mechanism that went fugitive.

It could be something like that.

Can a valve have loosened up?

I'm going to go through the valves again just to check. If that's not it I'll probably pull the motor apart and big bore it.
thats interesting... I get a tick and a whir from the e start now and again
I never thought that maybe the starter gear is touching something. I think I'll pull the starter and check for wear.

Thanks all

My 97 just acquired an audible low rpm click, it's the auto-decomp ring slapping on the cam and it even happens when turning over by hand. BTW it's got 34000km and the timing chain makes some noise at higher rpm... so I only drive at mid rpm... cured.....lol

Cam chain tensioners got out on these pigs. I've replaced two on mine since 1996.. I think that the cam chain tensioner that I have in there now may be bad, as it is making the same noise that it did the last two times the flippin' thing went out..

Well performance hasn't suffered, so I'm not going to bother replacing it this time. :applause:

I'm waiting for it to start hammering, as when the crank breaks, to do anything about it!!

I finally got it pulled apart and the rocker is worn so bad that the decompressor ring on cam is hitting the rocker (clicking). All lobes are worn but rh ex is pooched bigtime. camchain stuff looks ok but I'm gonna replace the tensioner spring anyways.

oh yeah mileage is 39000km now :applause:

That's only 24,000 miles.. &%$#@!!!!

My '95 has over 50,000miles and it has never had a problem like that.

Was it ever run without oil for an extended period of time?

I'd be pissed..

It was never low on oil, never less than semi synthetic. One valve adjust had that valve move 3 thou, then next adjustment, it was 3 thou too tight, probably my error involving the kick back decompressor. All around the cam had wear so it was too tight for sure, at least once in it's life. New Hotcam has notices enclosed advising of tendency for owners to set too tight and they run 2 thou looser tolerence as well. :applause:

To keep the auto decompressor from engaging, turn the engine over slowly and bring up the T mark without backing up the engine. As you probably already know, if the auto decompressor is engaged, it is impossible to correctly adjust the RH exhaust valve.