HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Moredesert

Dual Sport Wheel Size?

5 posts in this topic

I have an XR650R that is dual sported, mostly for desert rides in state parks like Death Valley. I have an extra front wheel and I'm building new black rims for it now. I was thinking of building a street only wheel too like a 19". I would run the stock 18" rear with a street tire and the 19? front. Has anyone done this and know what the hot set-up is? Where I can get the right rim and spokes for my stock front hub.

I'm kind of keen on a good recomendation on this too. I have mates who run motards (that I'm keen on too) with 17"" front and rear with radial sportsbike tyres. But I've run road tyres in the stock sizes (metzeler me33/lasertech in 21/18) and they do great on the road. Not quite motard stuff, but pretty handy anyway. I wonder is there was a 19" front size that was better all round :applause:

I had an idea while I was tinkering around. What if a lace up my 18" rear on the front hub. If it works I can run a 110-80x18 on the front and a 140-80x18 on the rear. :applause:

i was thinking of doing the same thing. 18" on the front and the rear.

I have a set of Metzlers that I ran on my CRF. Its a 21 front and a 19Front tire ran on the rear backwards. Worked great. I used them for a 1/2 of a trackday. Someone can have them for $50 plus shiping.