4 stroke packing?

Ive got a FMF Powercore 4 SA silencer and I have never repacked a silencer before but I am going to have to take this task on soon.

I know they make 4-stroke packing but is that stuff any different than the packing they keep on the shelf at my local dealer?

(MSR packing) And do I have to use the 4-stroke packing?

Also, any tips, tricks, items I need on hand before starting to make this a effort free project would be great.

------------------

Darin from Missouri - 1999 WR 400F

Enduro Heaven

I've used attic insulation, after removing the paper coating, on a couple of exhaust systems. It seems to work fine and is definitely a lot cheaper. Does anyone have any reason to believe that this is a bad idea? When I asked a dealer about it, they wouldn't say.

I'm not 100% sure but I don't think this FMF model needs repacking. Why do you think you need to repack it, too loud?

No. Honestly it dosent sound a bit different than the day I slipped that beauty on there. Even though instructions dont hold much water with me, it says in the instructions that it should be repacked after every 10 hours of riding. Ive got probably 500 hours on it by now.

I just figured by now it probably needs it if your supposed to do it after 10 hours.

------------------

Enduro Heaven

Ten hours, haha, that't if it's packed with cotton candy!

Why not try Silent Sport?

Originally posted by Chris C:

I've used attic insulation, after removing the paper coating, on a couple of exhaust systems. It seems to work fine and is definitely a lot cheaper. Does anyone have any reason to believe that this is a bad idea? When I asked a dealer about it, they wouldn't say.

it's a bad idea because your house just lost it's R value. it'll cost you more in power bills than in $10 worth of packing :)!!

just kidding, i've done the same thing with 2 smokes but i wouldn't put it in my $175 a month bike. just splurge!!! bonez

I thought the new FMF PC IV SA's were packed using a special steel wool and never required repacking. I would check with FMF before taking it appart as getting the steel wool back in could be a problem.

Clark

Ive never heard that before but thanks Clark, I'll check into it.

If this pipe is maintence free, next time I buy another it will definatly be another FMF.

------------------

Enduro Heaven