HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bluebike1999

Duh

26 posts in this topic

Thanks for all your advice on why my wr wouldn't start or go. next time i request help, please remember to ask me has it got fuel, and has it got water in the fuel.

Don't forget the real simple stuff.

After two weeks of kicking, kicking,

photo of hole in blundstone boot from kicking.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v696/bluebike1999/boot_0948.jpg

swearing, puffing, thinking about electric starters, forced to ride sons pw80, I found that there was bloody water in my fuel.

I already bought another plug, drained carby several times and never noticed water, probably wasn't looking.

Then i bought an iridium plug and the bike started 2nd kick, but ran all farty and popping.

Then i needed chainsaw fuel and have been mixing up just 700ml at a time in an old rum bottle and when i drained some in out of my bike fuel tank , there it was, bloody water.

Took tank off and blew it out then dried it with a cloth, drained carb, refueled, about four kicks later it started and ran a bit fluffy for about 30 sec and cleared. now runs absolutely sweet.

was getting worried because i only had yz timing done about 100km ago and had never done any other real mods to it, and was starting to think i should have left it alone.

got another pw80 for youngest son 4y/o. he has had a few rides and can't wait to hit the beach. had to change avatar

thanks all for your help again.

next time i request help, please remember to ask me has it got fuel, and has it got water in the fuel.

It's always the simple stuff that gets you. Things I've put on my list

of stupid things not to try again:

- Don't powerwash with the seat off. You fill the airbox with water and the bike doesn't like that. (In retrospect that should be pretty obvious)

- When you fill a brand new tank for a 2 stroke, don't just dump oil in the tank and then go fill up at the pump. All the oil stays at the bottom and the bike won't start.

bruno.

here's another little glitch that took me awhile to figure out. put a peice of duct tape over that little hole in the head on the passenger side when you pressurewash. even a little bit of water in there can boil the next time you start and raise all kinds of ignition issues :applause:

Well at least you made some of us feel better about ourselves. Dont feel like the Lone Ranger, we all do stupid shizit too :eek: . Glad you got it figured out. :applause:

My buddy got his new bike out of the shop the other day after his break in service and it wouldn't start. He loaded it back up, drove back to the dealer, only to find that he was too low on fuel and needed to be on reserve. He felt really bad and being the true friend I made him feel worse - lol. Course now I'll be cursed for something stupid to happen next.

here's another little glitch that took me awhile to figure out. put a peice of duct tape over that little hole in the head on the passenger side when you pressurewash. even a little bit of water in there can boil the next time you start and raise all kinds of ignition issues :applause:

Passenger side on a bike is the back......... :eek: That would be the right side! :)

Passenger side on a bike is the back......... :eek: That would be the right side! :)

ya ,ya baker nobody appreciates a smarta$$ like another smarta$$ :p:applause:

It was nice for you to share your story because we all do stupid crap but do our best not to let anyone know about it. Good job figuring it out!!!

yeah, maybe I shouldn't have said anything, especially after my oil change embarrassment. I didn't know there was two drain plugs and had changed 500 ml of oil out of the motor 3 times before i noticed a thread on here that he had 1.7l of oil and that there was a drain plug on the frame.

maybe i'll keep the no brainers to myself in future, but it is a laugh.

i have two punctures to fix now. any real obvious tips before i start.

yes i know about rimlocks.

thanks again

thanks for the tip about the hole, even though it's on the drivers side here.

there is another little hole with what looks like a ball bearing it it just above and behind it. I was telling a friend on the phone about it when my wife walked in and heard me say" I'll have to plug the second hole from the back of the head next time i give her a wash" and she hit me. thanks

thanks for the tip about the hole, even though it's on the drivers side here.

there is another little hole with what looks like a ball bearing it it just above and behind it. I was telling a friend on the phone about it when my wife walked in and heard me say" I'll have to plug the second hole from the back of the head next time i give her a wash" and she hit me. thanks

Huh??? how can that hole cause any ignition problems??? Its just a drain hole for the spark plug-shit I dont know how many times I have had water in there form washing it, let alone rides through knee high water :applause:

Huh??? how can that hole cause any ignition problems??? Its just a drain hole for the spark plug-shit I dont know how many times I have had water in there form washing it, let alone rides through knee high water :applause:

I think what he was saying, he tapes over the hole while washing the bike and forgot to take it off, once the bike is started again any water in there will turn to steam and cause "sparking" probs

This is what Bluebike is referring to.

Yeah I know, I can read ya know sheesh.....I thought he was refering to the post about the gravitational effect on the rotating mass of the crank in time of solar eclipse!!!!

Anyway it says 'put a piece of duct tape over that little hole' not 'dont forget to take the tape off after you have put it over the hole'

Mountain man please settle this one!!!

Argggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh no I havent-I want to know why you need to cover that hole with tape???????????????????????????