HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sixdoubleo

XR650R - Best off-road tire combo

8 posts in this topic

I have a 2001 XR650R. I ride 100% off-road...mostly woods and MX tracks. The trails that I ride have some rocks and boulders of various sizes. I live in Northern California.

I'm still running the stock front tire, and it feels like it just wants to wash out of corners. I have replaced the rear once with a Dunlop ummmm, can't remember the exact tire...anyway, the 650 just ripped it to shreds within 3 or 4 rides.

Anyway, there seems to be a lot of good info here, but most of it seems geared more for dual purpose riding. What about strictly off-road? Suggestions much appreciated.

Thanks!

Most the guys will laugh at this but the best off road front tire that I have found for my XR650R is the Michelin X11 trials tire. It's only weaknesses are certain kinds of mud and snow. Other than that it rails with ease and doesn't wash out in the turns. You do have to run it at higher air pressures but that does not seem to effect its performance. :applause:

Maxxis MaxxCross IT rear 120/100/18. And I'd say a Pirelli MT-18HD for the front. I've tried about 14 sets of tires on this thing and these are the ones I like.

I also like the MT 18 on the front but have run Dunlop 606 (18x130) on the rear of all of my bikes for years. They wear well and hook up pretty good.

mj-I don't think the 606 is the best offroad tire choice. I like the Maxxcross IT because it has a stiff carcass(bitch to mount but you can ride out a flat), doesn't chunk, hooks in all types of terrain and is still relatively cheaper than most.

I also like the MT 18 on the front but have run Dunlop 606 (18x130) on the rear of all of my bikes for years. They wear well and hook up pretty good.

But isnt the 606 a Dual Sport tire? I ride 100% off road.