Does anyone know? about the 06 450?

I read somewhere that the 06 450 has the same gear ratios in 1st 2nd 3rd! does anyone know if this is true? I really like the 4 speed!

Same as what? The four speed? The old 426? All three the same? Clarify, man.

PS: I don't know anyway.

All three the same?

:applause:

It wouldn't surprise me if 1-3 is the same, I think I read that somewhere too....

But until I see what the primary ratio is I don't really care. In fact, I won't care after that. You can change the final gearing to suit your purposes.

It does seem plausible that they will stick w/ the 1-3 ratio, and then make 4th, say, 5% shorter and then have a 10% 4th-5th spread. But they may change the primary again, if for no other reason than to accomodate a different clutch-to-main-shaft arrangement...

Whatever may be the case you should be able to make it fit your needs with a sprocket change or two.

Yes. The Yamaha rep that I talked to at Laguna Seca said that 1st thru 3rd had the exact same ratios as the 4 speed. This was great news to me because I salso love the way the ratios are spread on the 4 speed. I would venture to guess that 4 th gear would be a little lower than 4th on the 4 speed and 5th would be higher than the old 4th.

I'd like that. Especially if 4th gear is only a little lower.

Then, it would be really great to find out I could swap the trans into mine! :applause:

Then, it would be really great to find out I could swap the trans into mine! :applause:

You just knew that one was coming...

You can put a WR tranny w/ 426 gear wheels in your 450 now, no?

I know you can drop in a WR 5sp, but only as a complete trans. In a way, it kind of appeals to me. 2nd, 3rd, and 4th are nearly the same ratios as the YZ450 has now, but it has a 5th. I just wonder if 1st is too low.

Whether or not 426 gears will fit onto the WR shafts, I have no idea, but a 426 5spd will NOT drop in a 450. It can be done, but only with some machine work.

What I have wondered about was using a WR trans, but substituting the mainshaft and low gear wheel from a YFZ quad to get a low gear similar to the current YZ450. The quad trans is a pretty tightly spaced box.

I just wonder if 1st is too low.

Think of a tractor. It is very low.

Whether or not 426 gears will fit onto the WR shafts, I have no idea,

They should, WR 426 gears will fit a YZ 426 tranny, but what I'm forgetting is that first gear is integral to one shaft. So it looks like you are stuck w/ WR first gear if you use that tranny...

I personally would not want a WR first gear for the riding I do. It is a "woods bike" first gear, good for avoiding brake fade on downhills etc.

I know you can drop in a WR 5sp, but only as a complete trans. In a way, it kind of appeals to me. 2nd, 3rd, and 4th are nearly the same ratios as the YZ450 has now, but it has a 5th. I just wonder if 1st is too low.

I'm not sure about the 450, but keep in mind that on the 250, the rear sprocket is larger than the YZ (52t I think).

What's that going to do to 1st.

OTOH, dropping it into the YZ, you're running a smaller rear, so the whole trans moves up a notch and you've got a 100mph rocket :applause:

My only beef with the WR is the huge spread between 4th and 5th, but I guess 5th isn't really useful under conditions where you need a close ratio.