Carbon Fiber skid plate on e bay

I have used both carbon fiber and alum. My original alum guard is from Flat land racing and they make good stuff - good price and fit. I have been using my carbon plate for about 5 months now - a couple of scratchs but that is it. Carbon makes slightly less engine noise is the biggest reason to consider fiber. If noise does not bother you, go with alum plate from Utah or Flat Land. I paid close to $100 for my carbon fiber plate so the ebay price is good. Unless you ride in a very rocky place, carbon offers pretty good protection. Take a look at the Zip-Ty website. They race with Carbon not Alum.

Ok...I'll bite. I can't imagine it being very strong. One good smack and that thing will crack. The aluminum ones from Utah Cycle are strong and very light.

A great item. :eek:

Well, I will admit when I'm wrong. :applause: Since my first reply, I have heard ( from talking to the fellas at work ) that Carbon is pretty strong. I would still go with aluminum though. ?

My bike came with some carbon parts, the guy raced MX. I ride woods and one of the guards broke right off. However, the price is right on that skid plate, if you don't smash it too hard it's gotta be better than nothing.

I went with Flatland racing. There stuff is the best IMHO (havn't seen everything out there yet, but it's better than Duvol fur shur).

Lukejt

well, it went for $26 plus $20 shipping - total $46 for a carbon fiber skid plate is very cheap, so I just didn't know if it's one of those deals where you get what you pay for (since there's no minimum pricing). Assuming it is a good skid plate, it doesn't wrap around as much :applause:

I bought mine off of ebay and have seriously abused it and it hasn't cracked yet. I did drill a 1" dia hole for water drainage in the bottom. You do need to get used to the "bongo" drum effect from whatever your front tire tosses up and hits the skid plate.

I bought mine off of ebay and have seriously abused it and it hasn't cracked yet. I did drill a 1" dia hole for water drainage in the bottom. You do need to get used to the "bongo" drum effect from whatever your front tire tosses up and hits the skid plate.

I got the same 25.00 deal on e-bay 5 months ago! It's holding up very well :applause: . I trail ride only so it's had it's share of hard hits by rocks & logs, it is holding up to it all! :eek: The only negative I had, was, it was a little challenge to mount with the hardware that came with it and a lack of directions. and also there was no hole to access the oil drain bolt. ?