HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ill_caper

Question about Tie Downs

21 posts in this topic

I lost my good tie downs and cant seem to find anything but the el cheapo made in china ones at home cheapo. Ive checked wal-mart and auto parts stores. Does anyone know where to get good tie downs where the hook actulaly fit around the handlebars. Thanks, Denis :applause:

Ancra are the only way to go! Cheap ones wear out quick and tear/cut way too easy! :applause: No dirt bike survives trailer get offs well. :eek:

Huh? do you actually know someone who has lost a bike due to the tie downs failing? Ive been using a set of 'al cheapo' KMART tie downs for over a year and they work just great and cost a whoppng $20!!!

Ancra are the only way to go! Cheap ones wear out quick and tear/cut way too easy! :applause: No dirt bike survives trailer get offs well. :)

Another vote for ancra :eek:

Huh? do you actually know someone who has lost a bike due to the tie downs failing? Ive been using a set of 'al cheapo' KMART tie downs for over a year and they work just great and cost a whoppng $20!!!

I used wal mart tie downs for like a month and one day two of them gave out. Its a good thing I had the bike strapped down with 4

My advice is that if you do buy cheap tiedowns, do NOT get the ratcheting style. I have a set that if you wind just a little bit too much on the spools they pop loose very unexpectantly. Get the type that you just pull the strap through the spring loaded button, then tie the excess around the buckle when you pull them tight.

I have heard nothing but good about those ancra straps... Except for they are a little pricey.

That's me!!! I had my bike on a carrier on the back end of my 5th wheel camper coming back from Muenster a few years back. I had 4 tie downs and two rubber bungies around the wheels and the carrier to keep it from bouncing. Thank goodness for the rubbers, when I stopped they were the only think keeping my bike from rolling off of the carrier. Two tiedowns broke allowing the front wheel to roll off of the carrier and drag on the ground. I got real lucky, all it did was rub a hole about the size of my fist in the front tire. Take it from me, spend the extra 5 bucks and get a good set of tiedowns. Pretty cheap insurance!!!

Josh

I have been using the ratcheting style to haul both my street and dirtbikes around. I have never had any of mine pop loose, altho I guess it could happen. I have hauled a bike from FL to ME, and 2 bikes back with the same set bought from Wally World for $20. I think they are a 2000# rating.

I'm almost ready for a new set, tho, as one has a cut halfway thru it. If I use it as a short tie, works fine.

I use Wal Marts best and I have never had a problem. But I also don't do anything to cause any chafing. Never had one fail. I will agree that soft ties are a great idea if you don't want to put a hook on the bars, or anywhere else.

I've experienced tie down failure twice now. Both times while trailering bikes. Once in Utah; I got to see my KDX go over the side and get hauled on it's side thru the desert by the remaining tie down. Not pretty. Even Ancras will eventually break when they get old.

Indeed! I lost my '85 xt600 off the trailer at about 75 mph. This was due to chafing on the strap. Not likely but it certainly can happen. By the way, that bike is a tank. A new pair of bars was all that was required! I rode it home that night :applause:

Huh? do you actually know someone who has lost a bike due to the tie downs failing?

Nope, but I did have a bike come loose inside my enclosed trailer due to a sh*tty tie-down. That sucka went in the trash immediately, along with another of the same type. If it had been an open trailer it would have been fuuuuugly.

my dad is still using his ancras he bought in 86-87. never leave home with out em'. i have seen my share of bikes take a dump from cheap tiedowns. my friends swear theres no difference, but when ur going down a dirt road with ur bike in the back and its bumpy, there all looking back every second, but not me. besides 20-30 bucks is a one time payment to save ur 6,000 dollar machine.

I vote for the ratcheting ones too. The others tend to loosen up on bumpy roads. I got mine here on TT, not sure where they are made though :applause:

Nope, but I did have a bike come loose inside my enclosed trailer due to a sh*tty tie-down. That sucka went in the trash immediately, along with another of the same type. If it had been an open trailer it would have been fuuuuugly.

I was headed home one day on the interstate, when a Dodge pickup passed me doing at least 80mph :) , he was towing a flat bed trailer with a nice CR250 :eek: held on with 2 straps on the handlebars :p and nothing else. He gets about a mile ahead of me when all of a sudden I see sparks and smoke coming from the trailer :applause: . When I caught up to him I seen every bike owners nightmare! His bike fell off and was being dragged down the interstate by one remaining strap :p ........ NOT PRETTY!

I replace my straps every year! :p