52-rear and stock chain on '05 WR450

I'm considering going to a 52-tooth rear sprocket on my '05 WR450. I ride tight technical stuff and hillclimb exclusively. I heard a rumor the stock chain on the '05 will be too short if I increase the size of the rear sprocket. Any truth to that rumor? Thanks in advance for any help.

You might be OK with a 13/52 on the stock chain but you will be wheeling a lot with the rear axle all the way forward. Most people just run 13/50 with the stock chain. be prepared to buy 2 fronts for every chain. 13 tooth hooks quicker. :applause:

I'm running a 13/50 set up for my '05 and I'm very happy with it. I ride in Tillamook, Oregon where it's a lot of tight, technical trails and hills. Oh hell, it's all hills, it's a freakin' forest! :applause:

Once I changed the countershaft sprocket I just had to adjust the chain a little. If a bigger rear is needed then the chain will have to grow a few links for sure.

thanks for the quick response fellas. i was considering going to a 13/50 set up, but i think that might be gearing down a little too much (also need to consider increased chain wear going smaller on the front). since dropping one tooth in the front is like adding four to the rear, i figured i'd choose something in between....adding just two to the rear (going to a 52) and leaving the front at the stock 14.

thanks for the quick response fellas. i was considering going to a 13/50 set up, but i think that might be gearing down a little too much (also need to consider increased chain wear going smaller on the front). since dropping one tooth in the front is like adding four to the rear, i figured i'd choose something in between....adding just two to the rear (going to a 52) and leaving the front at the stock 14.

mmdoctor, its exactly what I'm going to do, but I will wait till I replace my chain. If you dont want to wait, just but a whole new chain now, save the stock unit if you use the 50 sprocket.

Some big guys even go 13/52. I think 13/50 is perfect for technical riding. The chain will last as long but you will need 2 front sprockets to make it last as long as when using a 14 tooth front. :applause:

I run 13/50 :applause: thinking about going to 13/52