Shift Cam Smoothness?

I just replaced 3rd and 4th pinions, 4th and 5th gear, all three shift forks, shift cam shows no wear, however the manual says check for smoothness in the operation of the shift cam, the damn thing ain't so smooth it is a bitch to turn honestly, and there seems to be a side to side play in the bearing of the main drive axel is this normal? My hypothesis is that since only about a 1/2" seats in the bearing and the shaft is so long that the "top heaviness" of the shaft would make it have a little play in the "seat", anyways, how f%ckinG smooth is the operation supposed to be?!! I need a point of reference, installing the assembly is a bitch you have to be a freaking contorsionist!

:)

I just replaced 3rd and 4th pinions, 4th and 5th gear, all three shift forks, shift cam shows no wear, however the manual says check for smoothness in the operation of the shift cam, the damn thing ain't so smooth it is a bitch to turn honestly, and there seems to be a side to side play in the bearing of the main drive axel is this normal? My hypothesis is that since only about a 1/2" seats in the bearing and the shaft is so long that the "top heaviness" of the shaft would make it have a little play in the "seat", anyways, how f%ckinG smooth is the operation supposed to be?!! I need a point of reference, installing the assembly is a bitch you have to be a freaking contorsionist!

:)

Cheeze13 pm me I have someone who has replaced several of these that you can talk to here in Atl/woodstock - MXTuner

Just curious did you lose 3rd or 4th gear? Or what caused you to replace?

Thanks

sux the Hurricane ruined my riding today :)

Ga426Owner you da man! Thanx for the hook up!

...the damn thing ain't so smooth it is a bitch to turn honestly...

This seems normal.

...and there seems to be a side to side play in the bearing of the main drive axel is this normal?

This does not.

New bearings aren't expensive, but you may need a press to install them (although if you freeze the bearings and heat the cases they may drop in).

...installing the assembly is a bitch you have to be a freaking contorsionist!

I used two thick rubber bands around both shafts to keep them together and free up my hands to put the fork/cam assembly in place before sliding the whole shebang into the left half.

Hope this helps.