PLEASE HELP ----------yz450

Is the yzf 450 too much bike for a new rider. I've rode Banshees all my life in the sand. I'm looking at a 2003 yz450 for 2800 with brand new rebuilt motor for a dealer.

Please help,

If you have ridden dirt bikes a little, and you're used to the power a Banshee has, just drop a Dr.D 6oz flywheel on it and you should be OK.

It will be a handful, though, and just mastering riding in the sand is a task onto itself. But you'll have fun.

If you have ridden dirt bikes a little, and you're used to the power a Banshee has, just drop a Dr.D 6oz flywheel on it and you should be OK.

It will be a handful, though, and just mastering riding in the sand is a task onto itself. But you'll have fun.

agreed. At least it won't hurt as bad when you fall off in the sand....

Good deal. If you decide you do not like it you can always sell it at that price. :)

I never like to buy used bikes from dealers. I always find that the bikes that guys trade in are trashed. That's why they trade them in. If they were worth anything they'd sell them on their own.

Don't buy the first thing that you look at. You might even try to find a 2001 or 2002 that is mint. A lot of Vet's buy new bikes and load on the extras and leave them sit in their garage until the wife makes them put them up for sale.

Go on e-bay or cycle trader to see what prices people are paying for bikes and what extras they have and condition they are in. You'll be amazed. Nick Wey's CR 250 was on e-bay for $3,900 just a few weeks ago. So just think $2,800 is only $1,100 less than a 2005 Factory Honda. Joe Ohelof and Juri Dostal just sold their bikes on e-bay too. I'm not saying that you should buy something from e-bay, but it's a great place to learn what's out there.

If you're worried about the horsepower consider a 250F or a 125. I just sold my 2001 YZ125 for $1,800. I'm telling you that thing flew. The only thing holding me back on that bike was me.

Again, take your time. It truly is a buyer's market. The fun is in the looking. And as winter get's closer, the prices will really start dropping. Look in the paper in mid January when no-one is buying and see what the prices are.

I never like to buy used bikes from dealers. I always find that the bikes that guys trade in are trashed. That's why they trade them in. If they were worth anything they'd sell them on their own.

Don't buy the first thing that you look at. You might even try to find a 2001 or 2002 that is mint. A lot of Vet's buy new bikes and load on the extras and leave them sit in their garage until the wife makes them put them up for sale.

Perfect advice.

if you go from a sand banshee to a bike be prepared for pain afterwards. Riding a bike in the sand takes lots of energy until you get use to it. A 450 in the sand is awsome. I spanked my buddy's 02 cr250 up sand mountain, and get this he had a paddle and i didnt :) . id get it, but buy all your gear first

kevan

I just turned 41, and I hadn't ridden in the dirt since I was around 21 or so. I purchased a 2004 Yz 450f with only about 50 hours on it (strictly trail ridden) no racing.

This bike is awesome, tons of torque, fires right up, and I feel like a kid again. I joined a local Motocross track, and on the first day was doing a respectable job on the tabletops and small doubles. I highly recommend these bikes.

Just remember "throttle management is the key" you control the bike, and if you use the throttle respectfully you won't have any problems. If you just jump on and whack the throttle like a Goon, then you could get yourself in a lotta trouble quickly.

my 2 cents...

A 2003 that already has a rebuilt motor has either been raced hard or abused...

Personally, I'd pass on it and keep looking for a yz that lived as a trail bike. You'll spend more, but have you any idea what these motors cost to rebuild when they blow up?

:) Look for one like mine (that I'm not selling) to come up. Trail ridden only, oil changed every other ride, and never been dropped or crashed. Hell, the stock chain has only needed one adjustment, the tires still look new, and none of the paint is even rubbed off the frame on the sides...

I really wish I had more time to ride... :)

A 2003 that already has a rebuilt motor has either been raced hard or abused...

(

depends....what does "rebuilt" mean? :)

agreed... i have (and still do) worked for many dealerships..most of the dirtbikes we get in are trashed and the dealer will take whatever he can get out of it.. i'd check around some more first....good luck