HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Al Curtis

Removing the Grey wire on a 05 WR450F.

11 posts in this topic

I bought an 05 WR450F a couple of weeks ago, WOW, Big change from an (nobody laugh now) 83 XR350. I had the dealer take out the throttle stop and change the pipe tip. I will be re-jetting and removing the AIS. Can anyone tell me how removing the Grey wire will affect the performance, I know it changes the timing to that of the YZ but, is it going to be noticeable? Can I change it back or does it change it permanently.

Do a search, us who bought this bike right when it came out already busted this topic :)

Below 1/2 throttle you won't notice a difference IMO. After 1/2 throttle the TPS sends a signal and the timing stops advancing and retards some (15 degrees I think I read). Some people put a toggle switch on the grey wire so they can switch between wr and yz timing but from what I understand you have to shut the bike off for it to take effect.

Does anyone know if you can do this mod on the Aussie bikes?

Only '05 450's I think from what I have read. I have did the mod and I don't know if it has did anything. :)

Sorry I'm new at this,how do I do a search on passed talks?

Go all the way to the top right and click search. You can search by key phrase, room, date etc :)

You will notice a difference in the higher rpm range. Yes you can put it back. I read somewhere that you should not pull the grey wire out of it's boot beacuse it will mess up the water proff seal for the other wires on that connector. I cut the wire about half way so I can splice it back together it I wanted to. But I don't.