05 WR450 VS 05 KTM 450 exc......

I'm running a 46 tooth rear sprocket on my WR 450. It will come pretty damn close to 100. It's wound out like hell, but she get's up there pretty quick. I needed a little taller gearing for road riding. The WR still has enough down low power. The only negative to the 46 is in first gear riding technical terrain. You have to be pretty quick to feather the clutch when your trying to crawl through stuff. I'm hoping to score a Rekluse soon so I won't have to worry about it.

P.S. I don't care much about top speed anyway, I prefer torque and acceleration over speed. These bikes don't have much business running 90+ mph anyway. They get a little nervous and are pretty well rung out. Get a rocket if speed is your thang. :)

The area that I ride requires a 5 mile on road section, it is on this road that the top end gets tested with the other riders, I'm just trying to stay competitive with the 6 speed bikes! :)

besides being an :) ,he has a point!!!

the 510/540/575cc ktm motors fly. so does the hus 650fse.

and they both have 6 gears.........

more $$$, but well worth it. :)

But then, if there was a WR525, 575, with 5 titanuim valves, the KTM is by by!

I have two buddies that have '05 ktm exc's and they are fast. My '05 WR450 feels like it pulls harder than theirs. The Ktm will have a higher top speed because of the sixth gear, but 1-5 the WR is faster. There is a big but. You need to do some of the free mods that Yamaha failed to do. You need to replace the old throttle stop with a YZ one so you can actually open the throttle all of the way and there is a grey wire that you need to cut to bypass the WR ignition mapping. This will let the motor rev like a YZ. There is a bunch more stuff to do, like jetting, removing the smog pump, cutting the air box, but start with those first. I also put a fifty-one tooth sprocket on the rear to let it accelerate a little harder out of corners, or off the line if you feel like dragging.

I have two buddies that have '05 ktm exc's and they are fast. My '05 WR450 feels like it pulls harder than theirs. The Ktm will have a higher top speed because of the sixth gear, but 1-5 the WR is faster. There is a big but. You need to do some of the free mods that Yamaha failed to do. You need to replace the old throttle stop with a YZ one so you can actually open the throttle all of the way and there is a grey wire that you need to cut to bypass the WR ignition mapping. This will let the motor rev like a YZ. There is a bunch more stuff to do, like jetting, removing the smog pump, cutting the air box, but start with those first. I also put a fifty-one tooth sprocket on the rear to let it accelerate a little harder out of corners, or off the line if you feel like dragging.

I just put a TALON 48 tooth on the back, i'll see how that does. If, that doesn't do it I have 15 for the front. :) If that doesnt work, well i'll go buy a 525exc!

But then, if there was a WR525, 575, with 5 titanuim valves, the KTM is by by!

yes, a 500+cc 6 speed yami would be my choice. but they dont exsist........

yes, a 500+cc 6 speed yami would be my choice. but they dont exsist........

I wpold still like to hear some stories about drag racing an 05 KTM 450exc with the WR450, anybody...... :)

I wpold still like to hear some stories about drag racing an 05 KTM 450exc with the WR450, anybody...... :eek:

Keep'n the thread alive :applause:

Yea, that seems to be the pipe!

I just ordered a 47 rear chain wheel and a 15 front...... maybe this will help against the 6 speed in the KTM 450 for top speed on road! :)

UPDATE,

I went riding with my buddy that owns the KTM 450exc. I had a 48 tooth on the rear (47 tooth was on back-order). We had a race on asphalt, the KTM still walked away from my bike, though my 450 was still pulling. I think if we had a longer piece of road that the KTM would hit it's rev limiter. I don't know what the redline is on the ktm 450, but, it's a rocker valve assembly, so that has to limit it's top end.

We drag raced on the dirt and I smoked him like cigar in a 1/4 mile. :applause:

I ordered the Yosh carbon fiber. I'll see how that goes for top end pull. :eek:

not that it really applies but i can smoke 525's on my 450. cost me a few dollars to get it to where it is but god its good fun pelting guys on the 525 kato's with rocks especially when they expect that they will slaughter you just because of a 75cc advantage!!

not that it really applies but i can smoke 525's on my 450. cost me a few dollars to get it to where it is but god its good fun pelting guys on the 525 kato's with rocks especially when they expect that they will slaughter you just because of a 75cc advantage!!

Is that top speed smoke? or a short drag?

that is rider.......

Well< I see the 06 YZ450 will be a 5 speed now, wonder if the 06 WR will be a 6 speed? :applause:

If you can smoke 525's in a straight up drag race you have one fast WR450. I have raced many WR450's in a straight line with my 525 EXC and I pulled all of them, especially after I hit 6th gear. Weighing 160 lbs also helps. Incidentally, it's only a 60cc advantage.

I just got back from riding today and can share a FACT with you....... I raced my buddies 6 speed KTM 450exc for top speed with the new 48 tooth sprocket on back, and we both tapped out at 97mph he was in front by a bike length so that makes him the winner, but, I was proud of my 5 speed 450 for doing 97mph.

I'll try it again and see if I can't make the pass when I install my Carbon Fiber Yosh silencer :applause:

I just got back from riding today and can share a FACT with you....... I raced my buddies 6 speed KTM 450exc for top speed with the new 48 tooth sprocket on back, and we both tapped out at 97mph he was in front by a bike length so that makes him the winner, but, I was proud of my 5 speed 450 for doing 97mph.

I'll try it again and see if I can't make the pass when I install my Carbon Fiber Yosh silencer :applause:

booommm back up top!

how fast the bike goes does not matter nearly as much as how long you can ride at speed. and over what..

how fast the bike goes does not matter nearly as much as how long you can ride at speed. and over what..

This thread was started based on a asphalt top speed race in perfect conditions, not a fire road, or track, or anything else that would involve more skill from the rider :applause:

:eek: Hey, I just go slow and enjoy the scenery so's that I don't end up like this................... :)

p.s. Dan, I'm sorry to hear that your career in photography didn't work out :applause:

:p peace

:eek: Hey, I just go slow and enjoy the scenery so's that I don't end up like this................... :)

p.s. Dan, I'm sorry to hear that your career in photography didn't work out :applause:

:p peace

I have ended up like that :p going SLOW, too!