HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Brettv

Floppy kickstarter

6 posts in this topic

G'day, anyone else experience a floppy kickstarter? when im riding it wants to come out and gets in the way, anyone know how to fix it?

cheers - Brett :)

I'd venture to say for the age of your ride that the detent ball and spring that are supposed to keep the kickstarter in place are frozen up. Take a look and you'll see it needs a little cleaning and some grease to get it back working again.

I'm not sure if the manual has a good exploded view of the parts I'm referencing, I'll check.

I referenced yamaha 's website. The ball and spring are #20 & 21. You may want to replace #23 (o-ring) if it's dead, that helps to keep dirt from getting up around the ball. Some cleaner, and grease will be you friend in this area :)

partimage.gif

Huh, my kickstarter is like the day is was when I bought it new. Of course, I never use it with the e-satrt. :) My 426 started to get wobbly also. I'd remove it, clean out the dirt and lube it, seemed to help a bunch.

I had to replace my floppy one, ahem, kickstarter earlier this year on my '99. I tried a new o-ring and did the kind of maintenance suggested above, but it didn't help. I found a used kickstarter on eBay in good condition for about $40. It's much better now.