Backfiring...

Can someone please tell me why a bike would backfire? I have a 2004 YZ450F with about 5 total hours on it. It just started to backfire and I'm not sure why a bike would do this...any help would be greatly appreciated.

Can someone please tell me why a bike would backfire? I have a 2004 YZ450F with about 5 total hours on it. It just started to backfire and I'm not sure why a bike would do this...any help would be greatly appreciated.

I believe it is because of the excess air in the pipe that is just igniting. it doesnt necessarily mean that anything is wrong with your bike. i have an 05 WR and i backfires quite a bt because of the smog pump on it. you could try messing around with the jetting if you want and see if that is the reason. just do a search on the site for your altitude and see what some of the other guys recommend :)

If it's backfiring on decel with the throttle chopped, then the pilot circuit is

lean.

Clean and re-oil your filter. It is not good to leave the bike sit with an oiled filter for weeks and then go riding. :)