HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
per_s

Handling problem due to low oil level in forks?

5 posts in this topic

Hi,

will a difference in oil level make a noticeable difference? I guess handling or such things might be a problem...

Give me your input please.

/P :)

Late model Yamahas before the '05 models are a little fussy about oil level, actually. The fork is a closed space that changes volume as it compresses and extends. The fork oil, being a fluid, will not compress, so the air in the space above the oil has to compress to allow the fork to go all the way to the bottom. The air, then becomes a kind of auxiliary spring. If the oil level is set too high, the air is compressed too much, and the fork acts harsh and stiff. If the oil level is lowered, the fork feels smoother, but the Kayaba fork will start to bottom out too easily if the oil level is lowered even a little too low.

Sub tanks, the small tanks attached to the fork caps with small hoses help this problem by increasing the air volume in the top of the fork, which allows running oil at high levels without the harshness.

OK, and if I have different amount in one of the tubes? will I have a anstable handling?

/Per

Yes, it will cause unstable handling. You'll be prone to headshake over breaking bumps and hard impacts.

Sub tanks, the small tanks attached to the fork caps with small hoses help this problem by increasing the air volume in the top of the fork, which allows running oil at high levels without the harshness.

This is a good buy. Try here: www.enzoracing.com

It does require some minor maintnance though.