MI Street Legal Checklist

I've got everything done except the DOT tires. In your experiences have the cops been checking the tires? My tires are currently in good shape right now and I don't really feel like dishing out the cash for new ones if I can get away without it. Thanks.

He didn't even look at mine which definately are not DOT.

I've always just used a Dremel tool on my non DOT tires. With one quick pass, NOT FOR HIGHWAY USE becomes FOR HIGHWAY USE. :)

Works every time. :)

I've always just used a Dremel tool on my non DOT tires. With one quick pass, NOT FOR HIGHWAY USE becomes FOR HIGHWAY USE. :)

Works every time. :)

hmm, might be a good excuse to break down and buy one of those.

Doesn't it leave a mark?

Based on my experience this week, when I took my WR450 to the Northville police station to have then sign off, they did not look at the tires. It is definitely worth taking it down and if they question it then tell them you think they are street legal. I've never been stopped but I bet if your pipe isn't too loud they won't worry about the tires.

this is a question that i'm glad to see asked. i've often wondered myself. you can buy turn signals that are hard to break off, you can make or buy a guard for the for speedo. you can buy or make a really slick rear brake light, etc. the one true inconvenience of a dual sport moto is the damn tires. no matter how good they say they are in the dirt, anyone who's switched from, say, an S12/M12 setup to something street legal will notice a decline in performance-- enough of a decline to want to put their non-legal tires back on and risk it.... IF i happen to get pulled over. IF he knows enough to even look. IF the 'not for use on highways" is gone and he HAPPENS to know which tires are and aren't legal...etc. if any of you fellows does happen to get yanked and cited, please post here. i'll do the same. that way we'll have a better idea.

Based on my experience this week, when I took my WR450 to the Northville police station to have then sign off, they did not look at the tires. It is definitely worth taking it down and if they question it then tell them you think they are street legal. I've never been stopped but I bet if your pipe isn't too loud they won't worry about the tires.

That's probably what I will do. I would hate to have to put on some tires I'm not crazy about just to pass if I don't have to.

From what I have seen if you get pulled over while riding your platted bike on the street the officer either didn't see the plate or is pulling you over for a traffic citation.

The only people that are interested that you have the correct street gear is the origional inspecting officer when you get your bike platted for the 1st time. And even then it is a hit and miss situation in Michigan. One officer will go by the book were the next one will just run your vin number and sign off for you.

Most police dont know or care what you need to be street legal. As long as your bike looks legal, has a plate and insurance you are usualy good to go. You just gotta get past that initial inspection 1st. After that it gets kinda gray...lol