Gearing - 15 Tooth Didn't fit??

Trying to gear down my '01 for a little street riding, mostly so I can enjoy a ride to work in the morning. Bought a 15 tooth for the front, but the chain rubs the engine case where the clutch enters ? . Does anyone run a 15 up front? I kinda thought that it should work. I suppose my next option is to gear the back down. Any good gearing suggestions??

Dodger, where is it getting hung up on? The only thing that ever gets in my way is the stock chain slider that wraps around the swingarm. If that's the case, you can loosen the bolts that hold the chainslider on and make enough clearance for the 15T counter to slide on.. It fits...

Dan

Dodger, where is it getting hung up on? The only thing that ever gets in my way is the stock chain slider that wraps around the swingarm. If that's the case, you can loosen the bolts that hold the chainslider on and make enough clearance for the 15T counter to slide on.. It fits...

Dan

I dremeled that back to fit the sprocket. When I actually put the chain over the sprocket, and slide it on the shaft, the chain over the sprocket hits the engine case in front of the drive train, the part where the clutch cable, and the shaft for that goes down into the engine case (like the overall gain in diameter expands the chain out too much). I'll be taking another look at it tonight, but it sure didn't want to fit on last night. And it'd definately a 15 tooth. I know that your supposed to be able to run them ? .

Hmm this is interesting. My bud has a new 15 tooth that I was gonna grab for use on my YZ400. I want to install some street tires and gear it up for a little super motard comute to work. But if that 15 tooth dont clear that wont be good. I know the 13 tooth on mine wont cut it for street use for long.

a 15T front comes standard fitment on all WR's in australia.

Some chains are wider than others. This may be your problem.

OK, not to loose any credit here, but no need trying to install sprockets after your third pale ale ?, it goes on much better a lot closer to sober ? .

I know you cant run a 13-45 combo. the chain eats a hole in the swing arm because thats what it did to mine. if you do run it, it will do good on the street. i raced my buddys kx500 and its geared for the desert at 120mph and i run right next to him. i have a 04 wr 450f.

Dodger, have you tried mounting the sprocket completely on the shaft then "Rolling" the chain on the sprocket while the gearbox in in neutral? It should roll on.....

I think Hamish is on to something. You don't have a "One-off" WR with special engine cases.. Either that sprocket is the wrong sprocket or that chain is too big... What chain are you using?

Dan

My bike came with 14/50 gearing standard and a 15 in the spares pack.

I put the 15 on just because I can and it made 2nd and 3rd more usable. 4th was about the same but it would die in the ass in 5th.

I can still get about 160 - 170km/h out of 14/50 on the road but i don't trust the speedo too much. My mates YZ250WR's speedo died after only 3kms!

I put the 14 back on and I am thinking about even going to a 13 front or a 52 rear.

• 1 month later...

Installed 15t last night on '05. Tight fit but fine. Stock chain.

Just had to slide wheel forward 6mm or so.

Now it wheelies smoothly to near vertical when I snap the throttle in 2nd, setting up a nice 3 gear wheelie, instead of just wanting to loop out like it did with 14t. :D

Much more rideable on the road now. :D