F***ing Tyres!!!

Just had some new tyres delivered today michelin enduros they seem good tyres thought i'd just stick the back one on as the old one is a little bit bald to say the least (never tried this before) but how difficult can it be?

3 400mm tyre leavers saw the old one off easily on with the new one ..easy me thinks :worthy: new one one 80% then i pinch the tube with the lever off with the tyre again 3 patches on the nicks in the tube blow tube up have supper check tube for leaks put back on next attempt 90% of tyre on (second attempt) nick tube again :D:D

off with new tyre for the 3rd time repair new nick check for leaks again all good! :D

on goes the tyre for the third time only taken 2 hours to get to this stage getting the hang of it now!! me thinks :D:D tyres on time to inflate attach to compressor upto 20 psi excellent. remove from compressor tyre goes down immediately one of the patches has lifted :):)

wish i'd decided to take it into a tyre fitter now well worth the £8 uk they charge.

Thats where the wheel and tyre is going first thing in the morning :D

James

Sounds like fun!

Next time (if there is a next time), try inflating the tube a little when the tire has one bead on the rim and you are about to tackle the last bead. This, along with being super carefull, helps prevent pinching.

Also, I woudn't recommend running patched tubes. Good way to ruin a ride.

Sounds like fun!

Next time (if there is a next time), try inflating the tube a little when the tire has one bead on the rim and you are about to tackle the last bead. This, along with being super carefull, helps prevent pinching.

Also, I woudn't recommend running patched tubes. Good way to ruin a ride.

I always inflate the tube a bit and then deflate it prior to installation. Gives it a little roundness. Seems to make it easier.

Ditto on shitcanning the patched tube.

I'll third the slight inflation!

also a little talcum powder inside the tire allows the tube to slide around in there and seat easier getting it out of the way of the irons.

also some soapy water or armor all on the bead makes it go on much easier!

just think how much of a painit is doing it ont he sideline of a racce watching your hard earned spot being lost!!!

it also gets much easier after you do it more times.

and just be real glad you dont have DOUBLE bead lockers like my yz490!

Mike

I went through this with my XR rear rim a month ago. Except I got it all the way on and then it wouldn't hold air. I had seen my friend pop a tube, then replace it, then pop it, then patch it and put it on. I just took it to the dealer, had them do it and considered it to be a cheap lesson in tire changing. It will not stop me from changing them myself next time though. I'll have a front to do after I make my next order.

I take the Valve out of the stem and spray Wd-40 on the tire bead on both sides. Then walk the tire on slowly not trying to gain too many inches and it works like a charm.

The Wd-40 lets the bead on both sides move. This gives you less pressure on the bead that you’re working on and therefore needs less force on the tire irons.

Letting the valve out allows for the tube to sit flat in between the tire and rim and out of the way of the tire irons.

Been changing my dirt tires that way for the last three years and I can’t remember when I last had a pinch while changing both knobbies and paddles.

Just my humble opinion. Everyone has there own way of doing this. :)

This is one of the best tire changing write-ups that I have found. Give it a look it's very well done. Clicky

I use windex.. It evaporates and leaves no residue.. If you use WD-40, wait a day before riding and leave the bike in a warm (preferably sunny) area to get it a little hotter. The WD-40 makes the tire extra sticky to the rim after the WD goes away.

I havent done one yet, was going to buy the spoons and try it when I did my Teraflex a while back. But I was doing a lot of other mods that day as well and paid the cycle shop $20 to install on the rim off bike instead. I figured to spend more than that on tools and time.

Someday will give it hell !