450 in deep sand...YIKES

My WR450 handles like crap in deep sand. the front end goes all over the place. i've got a gpr steering dampener, i weigh about 250, i'm running a 5.8 spring in the rear, and .48's in the forks. the front tires a michelin S12, and its in good shape. any idea's ? ?

I am sorry but the WR450 has one of the best frame and front end geometry designs for desert racing. Deep sand is always difficult but a better rear tire or paddle tire will really help transfer the weight to the rear. The problem with the S12 front is that it is a little narrow for deep sand. The michelin desert is quite a bit wider and a better platform. ? Deep sand is always hard on steep downhills with sharp turns at the bottom! ?

I assume you are already comfortable with riding the XR600R in deep sand. The WR needs the same technique. Weight back and on the gas enough to make the front end float. :D

Riding a bike in deep sand is like getting a ski boat out of the hole. Ya gotta get up on top of the stuff and "plane" The front end is gonna hunt no matter what...especially in rutted sand. You can't turn in sand it's more like aiming with the throttle and using your body weight. Way forward in the turns and way back till you get it back up on "plane"

Wr450 is one of the more stable offroaders, does not need a damper unlike all the KTMs. What you do get though is the front end diving on hard braking in soft sand. This can create stability problems entering a corner. Suggestions for counteracting this:

get your weight back a bit entering the corner.

firmer front springs , given your weight.

get back on the throttle as soon as possible, this helps stop washing/pushing of the front tyre