HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hart

Lower Suspension

7 posts in this topic

I am trying to lower this bike with the suspension. I notice some people have had suspension company's cut the springs and have been happy with this. I am wondering if lowering the sag on the rear and raising the forks in the tripple clamps would be a way to get the same effect. Also it would be more adjustable.

I bought a pair of handlebar mount caps and turned them upside down underneath the handlebars and installed longer bolts. This has raised the handlebars another inch allowing me to move the forks up 1.5 inches. I believe the geometry is the same because I have set the sag down 1.5 inches also.

Has anyone tried this with satisfaction or am I just wasting time..

Hart, you might try doing a search on the word "lower" there is plenty of information in the archives on the subject.

Good Luck!

------------------

JJ from WA - 99 WR; WR timed, EKN Needle, Scotts stabalizer, Scotts triple clamps, Pro-Tapers, Michelin S-12's, Terry Cable hot start, MSR Raptor clutch lever , Moose skid plate , Works frame guards, Acerbis Pro Rally guards, Renthal MD-soft grips, Factory Effex graphics, YZ IMS seat base, YZ Factory Effex seat foam and gripper seat cover, YZ rear fender

Hart

i think you're a star! brilliant!!!

when the green flag drops the bullshit stops!

i've dropped the forks through 18mm

but in my case i made the rear end as hard as i dare & then took 1 1/2 " out of the rear subframe.

go back only 30 days to "jack it up" by Taffy. note I mention that i could have welded the front mount lower (next to the shock mount).

is it difficult being gifted! would you talk us through it.

Taffy

I almost put "take it easy on me taffy" on my origional post because I knew I would catch it.

I know the question sounds rhetorical.

I am trying to speak for the typical guy that wants simple solutions. I can't afford to spend the time or money to re-weld the subframe or make some new bar mount. So far this took me about an hour and $20.00. Why over-engineer it if this works just as well?

Nothing ever works "just as well" for Taffy. If it isn't broke, better fix it anyway... We sure learn a lot though.

I took my seat cover off and sanded about an inch or so off( with a belt sander ) and put in about an inch more sag and raised the forks about a quarter of an inch, It work's great.I'm 5'7" 150lb

hart

i am geuinly impressed. if you know me at all you'll know i love the poorer riders "i did for £2 what you did for £20".

i welded the frame myself & the aerosol primar i have on the shelf. the yamaha blue was £5 ($8). the spacers were made for £5 ($8) & the new holes in the triple clamps for the forward bar mounts was £2($3).

we get a lot of questions but not many people start with "i did..."!

Taffy