All YZ450's 4 speed??

Hello i was just wondering if all of the YZ 450's where 4 speed? i was wondering that because i do some motocross and a little bit more trails and i didnt think the 4 speed tranny would be good for trails?? Right now i have a YZ 426 and love it but i was going to upgrade to a 450 because i heard that they are lighter and quicker, is this true?? any suggestions appriciated.

Thanks.

Lighter yes, but I don't think I would agree that they're quicker. The 426 is very strong.

Are u sure ????

All YZ450F's are four speed except the '06 (it's a 5 speed). :)

Gear it or put a rekluse on it and you will never go back. I rode lots of 426's in the dunes and trails and I love how the 450 handles.

Are the Crf 450's 4 speeds too?

All YZ450F's are four speed except the '06 (it's a 5 speed). :)

On the Features and Benefits page, it says an all new 5-speed gearbox. But on the Specifications page, it states it is a 4-speed. To be honest, you don't need a 5-speed. It will wheelie everywhere, and you will need to change gears too much. The 4-speed is real broad, and that is what you want on a 4-stroke. But I guess Yamaha are the engineers, and they do test everything, so they know what they are doing. I guess it will be a 5-speed if they state "New 5-speed..".

On the Features and Benefits page, it says an all new 5-speed gearbox. But on the Specifications page, it states it is a 4-speed. To be honest, you don't need a 5-speed. It will wheelie everywhere, and you will need to change gears too much. The 4-speed is real broad, and that is what you want on a 4-stroke. But I guess Yamaha are the engineers, and they do test everything, so they know what they are doing. I guess it will be a 5-speed if they state "New 5-speed..".

The '06 is a 5 speed without question. What you saw was parts of the old spec sheet that haven't been updated. But most people totally misunderstand the YZ450 4 speed. The 4 spd covers roughly the same overall range of speed as the 426 5 spd did, but with wider gear spacing. If both bikes are geared with identical final ratios in 1st, there's only about 3 mph difference in the top speed at the rev limit. You just don't have to shift so much.

All MX bikes have a first gear that's too high for really serious trail riding, and a top gear that's a little short for serious desert racing. It's just how it is.

Sure, I'd like a five speed, but I want one with the same first 4 gears I have now, and one higher one on top, not some ultra-close ratio road racing trans I don't have any use for.

Are the Crf 450's 4 speeds too?

No, all models are 5 speeds.

Sure, I'd like a five speed, but I want one with the same first 4 gears I have now, and one higher one on top, not some ultra-close ratio road racing trans I don't have any use for.

You can always change your final gearing to get the spread you want. I like the close ratio 5 speed because it is more versatile for off road. I can run 100mph (or very close to that, at least keep pace w/ most of the XRs) and still get a holeshot in first w/ the close ratio and 15/45 gearing on my CRF. By the time I gear a 4 spd YZF to run 100 my gear spacing is going to be much wider. Obviously this doesn't bother Ty Davis, but I'm not Ty Davis.

The 1-4 gears on a CRF compare closely w/ a stock YZ450 (before they changed the primary ratio anyway, I've forgotten when they did this and in which direction), w/ 3rd-4th gap being a bit smaller. I'm not sure if this is a meaningful comparison given two totally different motors and bikes...

Your point is well taken, but what I don't like is how some folks think adding a 5th gear takes away anything from how the tranny works on a track. You should be able to make any close ratio work, 4 gears or 5 (or 3 for that matter) on your track w/ some sprocket changes.

You can always change your final gearing to get the spread you want. I like the close ratio 5 speed because it is more versatile for off road. I can run 100mph (or very close to that, at least keep pace w/ most of the XRs) and still get a holeshot in first w/ the close ratio and 15/45 gearing on my CRF. By the time I gear a 4 spd YZF to run 100 my gear spacing is going to be much wider. Obviously this doesn't bother Ty Davis, but I'm not Ty Davis.

Your point is well taken, but what I don't like is how some folks think adding a 5th gear takes away anything from how the tranny works on a track. You should be able to make any close ratio work, 4 gears or 5 (or 3 for that matter) on your track w/ some sprocket changes.

My point is that in order to get the 100 mph top speed, you have to give up your low 1st gear, for one (or vice-versa), and for the other, the gear spacing does not need to be any closer than it is in the current four speed (at least, not with 90 mph gearing. might be too wide in your example). Having it closer in a 450 is and is not a handicap. It is at times where you have to run through several gears, because it adds an unnecessary shift. It is not at times when you're working through a closer spaced turn-to-turn section because the power range is so wide that gear selection isn't particularly critical, and having a closer ratio box relieves you of having to pick the proper gearing for each and every track.

My hope is that if Yamaha doesn't build it that way to start with, there will be a way to mix parts from the WR 5 speed and the new YZ450 5 speed to build something like I described, with the same first four as a 450 now has, and an equally spaced 5th on top to expand the speed range. We'll have to see if the internal transmission case dimensions are the same. In fact, that might be exactly what you want, too. You could have your 100 mph top speed with less stretching of the gear spacing in the lower ranges.

I love my 4 speed on the track, hillclimbing etc.