Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
racerx573

Oil For Wet Sump

7 posts in this topic

I am sponsored by Bel-Ray this year.. do you think a thicker oil would be better for the wet sump? I am running this engine in a quad chassis.. It is an '01 426.

I don't know if I should go with the 10-40 or the 20-50. It is their Thumper 4-Stroke Race Oil

First, let me say that converting from the clearly superior dry sump to a wet sump is a bad idea. Perhaps especially so in a quad.

But since it is that way, I think that I would be prone to use the heavier oil recommended for the temperature range because the oil is going to be hotter than it would have been in a dry sump system.

To elaborate on the above; go back to a dry sump if you can. The extra oil capacity should help with durability, especially with the extra load that a quad is going to put on the motor. If you stay a wet sump I would say follow the manual in regards to viscosity for the temps that you ride in, but be sure to change it very very frequently.

To elaborate on the above; go back to a dry sump if you can. The extra oil capacity should help with durability, especially with the extra load that a quad is going to put on the motor. If you stay a wet sump I would say follow the manual in regards to viscosity for the temps that you ride in, but be sure to change it very very frequently.

Wet sump = oil change every hour of operation or after each race/each practice etc... according to DRD. ...... :)

I went with the wet sump to save space on the quad chassis. The oil tank would have been a squeeze for space with all the lines, and finding a place to mount the tank.. Too late to go back, unless I wann get mounts welded on, and then have to re-powdercoat. I planned on changing the oil every race. I got a good deal on their oil, so I should be set for changing it as often as I need. Around here the weather gets to about 85 on the warmest days. The only times I'd be above 90 would be if I went to an out of state national like Loretta's. I ordered their 20-50. The quad itself is pretty light.. it rings in at about 350 wet. I also have a high capacity radiator for it, and some inline coolers, so keeping it cool, should be pretty easy.

Here is the baby herself..

YZ8002.jpg

Before stickers & graphics..

YZ7006.jpg

YZ7002.jpg