Is it time to sell now???

Great deal if it's an 05'. I wonder how low you will be able to pick up a 00'-02' 426 for this fall? I'm guessing 1500-2200 $$$s.

Where are you shopping? $1500 to $2200? You must be expecting to pick up that 426 for free.

I'd expect $3500 to $4000 for my '04. I'm confident I'd get that. Especially here in Colorado.

I have my '03 sold to the parts counter guy at the local Yamaha shop for $3500. This deal was done the day before the '06 press release. When I asked him if he still wanted it he said, "Dude, I'm married with kids. No matter how great the '06 is I can't come up with 7 grand for a bike. $3500 I can do. Barely."

The price hike will keep a lot of people in the used bike market.

--KT--

I just bought a 00' 426 for $1,500 from my brother that brought it up from Texas. I doubt he could have got much more for it down there. I hear you about Colorado...everything is a notch higher....but it is a buyer's market right now. I still think that if someone wants to get rid of a 00-02 after summer, it's going to have to be priced low because a new crop will be on the floor and demand is low that time of year for used stuff. 450's on the other hand will retain value much better. Remember, the arrival of the all new 450 for 06' puts any 426 two generations back.

pavelkod,

I have an 03 450F that I have considered selling for around $3500. I think I am gonna wait one more year though.

On a side note, I viewed your public profile to see if I could figure out what year of bike you had and I saw you and I were both born on the same day, just 9 years apart ? .

I am debating to sell my bike before I lose even more money? How does $3400obo sound for a yz450f???

Why do you buy bikes anyway ?

Sorry Pavel but what do you expect when you sel a dirt bike. It is worth only what the market will bare no matter.

Its a Dirt Bike, if your motivation for selling is simply not to loose money, you already lost money. You go buy a 06 and see what you get for it in 1 month after you own it, you loose money.

I understand what you are saying, but why not get your moneys worth, your not going to be any fatsre on a newer bike thats for sure. And you definetly wont get any of the cash back you put into your bike.

That is why when I do sell my bikes I take all the aftermarket stuff off and put it back to stock to sell....then I try to sell the aftermarket stuff......or use what I can on the newer bike.....It takes time but I have sold most all aftermarket dirt bike items to fellow riders ?

Aftermarket adds no value to the sale of your bike - unless the buyer is willing to pay extra for it....and that is rare ?

And the whole Dirt Bike depreciation thing.....this is why paying 8-12k for a Service Honda CR500 makes little to no sense to me........ :D

People buy new bikes because they are usually the most-reliable out there. Used bikes aren't any good to a racer (me included) unless they are 100% confident that the bike is in tip-top shape. Sometimes, it's just not worth the risk of a used machine in a race situation.

That being said, I just bought a used 04 YZ450 because I got a smoking deal on it. I could rebuild the entire motor and still come out lower than $3500. ?

I never buy a brand new bike due to the fact your wasting you money. Ill wait for that person who buys a new bike and decides they cant afford it of dont want it and get it for about a thousand dollars cheeper. I am not looking to make money on bikes just minimize the money I lose as much as I can. There is always a plus on upgrading. The money I save goes toward parts and riding gear.

Aftermarket adds no value to the sale of your bike - unless the buyer is willing to pay extra for it....and that is rare

Usually when I get a bike the person already has mush stuff on it so that saves me to.

And yes a newer bike does make me faster. ?

I never buy a brand new bike due to the fact your wasting you money. Ill wait for that person who buys a new bike and decides they cant afford it of dont want it and get it for about a thousand dollars cheeper. I am not looking to make money on bikes just minimize the money I lose as much as I can. There is always a plus on upgrading. The money I save goes toward parts and riding gear.

I like your current bike. If I were you and since you seem to be happy with it I would keep it. Your new graphics from your other post make the bike look really good. I know I am very happy with my '04 and have no thoughts what so ever on upgrading anytime soon. ? Save your money.

The question is, "did you get your moneys worth?"

I know how bad the front forks are on the '03 YZ450. Also with the couple of hundred hours I have on my 450 it is worn and rides like it. It's not in danger of breaking but it rides worn. I even had to put a new seat on it because the foam was getting dead spot making it hard to slide forward in the turns.

I simply look forward to owning a better handling and better suspended bike. I think I got my moneys worth out of my '03 and hope to do as well with the new '06.

--KT--

My '00 426 is going to be more bike then I can handle for years. My only impulse to get a new bike would be for the new shiny sparkle look. God help me if I ever succumb to such an impulse.

Of course I could accidently wad it into a boulder infested canyon... Nah! Hmmmmm...

I want to ride a 450 so bad so I can know if I really want to do this,but here is my plan...

Sell my 05 YZ 250 to someone who is selling there 05 YZ 450, well basically I want a trade.

And then, I can keep my rear wheel and chain and stuff like that, then he keeps his and we just swap bikes and tires and chain and stuff like that.

Isn't the rear rim and stuff the same on those 2 bikes??

Anyway, sorry for getting off topic, but I would sell now. Everyone including me wants a 06, there amazing, so if you wait till there out, price/demand for older bikes is going to go down and you will loose even more money.

If someone could answer my questions that would be great though.