HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PBR_StreetGang

DOT Tires for XR650R - Yet Again

10 posts in this topic

I want to get the best offroad capable DOT tires for the BRP. Pirelli MT21, Dunlop D606, Michelin AC-10 come to mind, but experience tells me the MT-21 is going to suck when there is mud. Is there a DOT legal knobby that doesn't suck in mud?

The Tera Flex Type II is the best mud tire made and it is DOT. Nothing is better in the mud. They just changed it from being steel belted and made in the USA (18 pounds) to being two pounds lighter and made in China. The old never chunked and last 1000+ miles (Gene lane got 2000 miles out of one) The new ones chunk and last 500miles.

So if the Tera-Flex II's are still the best DOT tires, where can they be purchased? I checked with Chaparral today, and they don't have them.

Ted K.

The Kenda TrackMaster II does not suck in the mud. It sucks on the street. Just what I want.

I dont' bother with a good DOT rear tire. For the quick street burst I do(trailhead to trailhead) any knobby will do. Just take it easy on the tire. For the fronts you can try for an aggressive bite a Pirelli MT-18 HD or a pirellie MT-83 scorpion.

How big of a rear tire can you put on a 89 XR600R do any of you guy's know ?It has a 110/100/18 on it now , and looks pretty full . Thanks Steve

The Kenda Trackmaster works very well in the mud. Just watch out on the street.

I also think the Metzler Unicross is DOT approved, if they are still available,.

The thing I found about the Mt21 is that is wears fast when on the street and doesn't hook up that well in mud...pretty sure I won't get one again. Not bad on the street but gets a bit loud over 65 mph's. I have a D606 on now and seems to run pretty good. I'm going out this weekend with some friends and will see how well it works....