yz timing sucks! Problem?

I just changed my 99 wr400 to yz timing. And I gotta say, it really sucks. Has NO low end power at all. I used to be able to tap the gas and pull, the front wheel up all the time, now it won't come up even if I pull. It may be a bit faster at WOT but I seldem ride at WOT. I mostly trail ride. You can hear it sucking under the seat, sounds way different. Maybe I did something wrong. The are two things I am going to check. First the air filter is pretty dirty, so I am going to clean it. Second I haven't cut the grey wire yet. Would either of these make a HUGE difference? If that doesn't make a HUGE difference I am switching back. ?

I've been saying this for years... YZ timing sucks... It's hollow power... It makes the bike "feel" fast until you notice you're not hooking up anymore.. I had my 426 timed for a while and switched back.. The grey wire's not your problem, yes you should cut it anyway... ?

I suggest not cutting the gray, just pull it out of the connector, then tape it back to the harness, did you cut the throttle stop screw, that must happen. I have a 2002 wr 426 & it made a world of difference. for the +

I've been saying this for years... YZ timing sucks... It's hollow power... It makes the bike "feel" fast until you notice you're not hooking up anymore.. I had my 426 timed for a while and switched back.. The grey wire's not your problem, yes you should cut it anyway... ?

Ditto! I bought into the hype 2 years ago and put in a YZ exhaust cam. One month later I was back on the WR cam and sold the YZ cam. No bottom end grunt and arm ripping mid range and top was impossible to control and ride fast. ?

I cannot confirm what it does to the 450's but on the 98 to 02 models, this is a must do free mod. From my experience, more power is made throughout the rpm range. I was hesitant to do this mod because of fear for losing bottom end grunt. I can honestly say that I expected to lose a little off the bottom. So, the first time I took it out, I was specifically looking for that effect.

What happened was that the motor just felt more ready to go as soon as the clutch was dumped. It built revs quicker and felt stronger everywhere. It also sounded better. This was noticed on startup after about 5 sec. Just my experience.

i'm using a yz450f cam on my 98wr400f..honestly yz450f cam feels better then a stock yz-timed cam... i can feel the difference in power delivery from bottom to top. bottom end feels alot stronger..it oso smoothen out the sudden midrange punch that's on the stock yz-timed cam.. it revs quicker too..power delivery is very smooth...try it to believe!! ?

I cannot confirm what it does to the 450's but on the 98 to 02 models, this is a must do free mod. From my experience, more power is made throughout the rpm range. I was hesitant to do this mod because of fear for losing bottom end grunt. I can honestly say that I expected to lose a little off the bottom. So, the first time I took it out, I was specifically looking for that effect.

What happened was that the motor just felt more ready to go as soon as the clutch was dumped. It built revs quicker and felt stronger everywhere. It also sounded better. This was noticed on startup after about 5 sec. Just my experience.

Ditto - 2000 WR400

Running Hot Cams intake and exhaust. I wanted the auto-decompression and seized the stock intake so I bought them as a set. I did notice it bogged down easier at the dunes with stock gearing and a paddle but it stills pulls from low end a gear high in the desert. I like it better than stock with low to mid level traction I get in the desert.