Black Side Panels XR650L ??? Help.....

I have been looking (for a friend) for some black side panels for an XR650L 2000-2005. I know they exist as I have seen some running them, but my searches havent had any luck.

If you guys know where to get true (not painted) Black side panels please do tell.

Thanks

I was going through this same predicament. Stupid white panels on an all red and black bike. (01 model)

I know you asked for non-painted panels; but that is what I was planning on doing to mine. Krylon makes a paint called "Fusion" which is formulated to adhere (fuse) to plastic. It requires no primer. You just need to clean the plastic with Ammonia-based cleaner.

Apparently, the paint will resist cracking and peeling as it fuses to the plastic.

I figure when the scratches come I will add another light coat.

I bought the black gloss and plan on trying it out soon. I'll fill you in with the results.

• Like 1

I have the black side panel... custom by Krylon Fusion.

I think it works great and looks great. The paint does wear off from contact of my boots but hey it is so easy to touch up. The bonus is ,the paint fills in the tiny scratches from falls.

I take some semi fine sand paper prior to painting to smooth it out clean Very Well then paint.

I think that you will be very happy, I did it on a whim one day and have never loked back. The paint is surprisingly easy and good for a rattle can.

Travis

cheers for the response... It's nice to know that there is some positive feedback on the fusion paint.

I think I'm going to complete that project tonight. Do you recommend using that superfine grit sandpaper on the whole panel prior to painting, or simply to touch up scratches and gouges.

Use caution painting at night, Ideal spray painting temp should be well over 60degrees to keep from orange peeling on you. Better in 70-80 range for proper adhesion and pattern. And use a tack cloth or wash and dry thoroughly before painting to remove all dust and sanding debri.

use like 1500 grit paper befor doing it just to smooth it out a little. that paint is the shiznet!!!

I use orange GOJO hand cleaner on my panels to clean them. It's basically a wet sand and they come out smooth as a baby's butt.

I can't remmber the actual grit but I know it was less than 1500... way less. Course I had/have a few gouges not scratches. I think I was using around 250, sorry to all of you body men. I did wet sand it only to keep the dust running off, plus I think it is easier to sand wet.

You will have to touch it up every now and then depending on your preferences.

The bonus to touching it up every now and then is that the paint keeps on filling in the smaller spaces.

Make sure they are totally clean and dry before you even think about applying the paint!!

Skydive great suggestion on the GoJo at first I laughed thinking you were joking then I thought nooo that would probably work well!

Travis

I have the black side panel... custom by Krylon Fusion.

I think it works great and looks great. The paint does wear off from contact of my boots but hey it is so easy to touch up. The bonus is ,the paint fills in the tiny scratches from falls.

I take some semi fine sand paper prior to painting to smooth it out clean Very Well then paint.

I think that you will be very happy, I did it on a whim one day and have never loked back. The paint is surprisingly easy and good for a rattle can.

Travis

I am about to paint my side panels also. Did you use the gloss or the flat Krylon?

JD,

thanks for putting up the post. wanted to stay away from painting plastics but i finally gave in and painted the side covers the other day. it's drying out as we speak. wet sand 400 and sprayed with fusion satin. no where near showroom finish but it'll get scratched up as soon as we hit dirt this sunday anyway. remember what happened with my FMFs ? . will post some pics later.

solid ?

I've got an 05 xrl and looked at this thread just for grins. After seeing your bike and how sweet it looks, I am now considering a change of colors!

Very Nice

Ditto, that looks way cool ?

Denniskirk.com sells universal number plates backgrounds that are 12" X 18", FX makes them,$13.99 ea, Part number 52-3002 for the black ones. These are just big stickers. Not to hard to put on. Just use some soapy water to allow time to position. Start in the center and work your way out. I put red ones on as number plate backgrounds.

Hey its another option and it is more durable after a fall than paint ?

• Like 1