HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jjk

oil filter?

34 posts in this topic

Lots of people do it every other change. Some change it every 3rd time. A lot of it depends on how long your going between oil changes.

I'd plan on about every other, but if a visual inspection shows no particles, all clear except its not like new color, you could go 3 oil changes to one filter. I wouldnt go over 2 without a visual inspection though.

Buy a Scott's stainless, never buy another filter again (it's paid for itself in less than 10 changes), and clean it at every oil change.

How do the stainless filters compare to the disposable paper type when it comes to micron rating? Are they as effective - is this info even available from the manufacturers?

How do the stainless filters compare to the disposable paper type when it comes to micron rating? Are they as effective - is this info even available from the manufacturers?

The stainless filters generally filter out smaller particals than the paper filters and they flow better. :)

Buy a Scott's stainless, never buy another filter again (it's paid for itself in less than 10 changes), and clean it at every oil change.

Where can I find one of these filters at a good price??? :)

I too was wondering about a stainless filter. Yeah they are expensive over here in Australia too, but I was wondering if they do the job. There was a post on here a while back on the ins and outs of them but I didnt keep a copy and now wish I had. I will go a try and find it in the archives. But if anyone can give some feedback on them it would be muchly appreciated.

Cheers

Paul

The TT store is going to be your best price.

It's not listed in the online catalog... just call them or send an email.

Besides stopping the small particles, is the flow rate good compared to some of the paper filters. You need flow rate to be good

You can buy the stainless filter directly from Scott's. The stainless mesh will always flow more oil than paper; especially when the paper element gets dirty. I had a write up on tests done....alas I have lost it.

look into the Ready Racing Filter. It's cheaper then the Sotts and comes with a cool cover. The stainless filter is the way to go.

I looked at the race ready filter on line and it looks pretty cool. They always give you the right verbage to read and make it sound good, but is it as good as the Scotts? ? :)

but is it as good as the Scotts? ? :)

A billet cover will cost you $30-50.

The Scott's filter is around $65 from the TT store.

The Ready filter is cheaper, and includes a billet cover.

Ready air filters have a questionable reputation (I have not tried them)

That tell you something?

Rich,

So if I buy the scott's do I have to but a billet cover too??

I change my paper filter every 4th oil change. :)

But how often do you change the oil???????????????????????????

I don't change the oil filter ever time, I use paper filters and will change them every other time. It's just that an oil change without a filter change can save me half the time and less mess. The SS filters are nice, but expensive for what they are. Now that you mention it I really need to buy one. :)