Triple clamp craziness

Ive been looking to replace my lower triple clamp and shaft due to stripping the top of the shaft and top nut. Ive found that even before the considering the fork diameter, there are different lower triples. They appear to come in different shaft lengths. I have an 01 YZ426 and my steer shaft is 10-7/8" long. So far, Ive bought a 99 and an 02 of ebay that were like 10-9/16". The shaft isn't long enough to catch the threads on the lock nut. When I looked and compared part numbers, This is what I found:

99 YZ400 - 5DJ-23340-L0-00

99 WR400 - 5BF-23340-L0-00

00 YZ426 - 5HC-23340-L0-00

00 WR400 - 5GS-23340-50-00

*01 YZ426 - 5HC-23340-M0-00

01 WR426 - 5MV-23346-L0-00

02 YZ426 - 5NX-23340-L0-00

02 WR426 - 5NX-23340-L0-00

These numbers don't necessarily help my quest. When searching ebay, most of the people make a blanket statement like "should fit 99-02 YZs and WRs". I know this is not the case. When I searched TT, I found lots on triples, just nothing on this. Has anyone ran into this? Does anyone have a extra 01 lower laying around the garage?

How did you strip the top threads of the steering shaft stem?

I would just buy the shaft/stem for your year bike from Yamaha - and have it pressed into the stock lower clamp after you have the damaged one pressed out - this is the cheapest solution - unless you gcan retap the original

Or you can purchase the complete top/bottom clamp by

Tag or RG3 One of them will sell it with the steering stem pressed in/.... :)

I actually didnt strip the nut, it came that way. Im sure the previous owner wrenched pretty hard on it.

The part numbers above are for the entire lower assembly. I do not know of a place that sells the shaft alone. I would consider this if I knew.

I was hoping that someone else has ran into this...

Hello, i stripped the thread of the stem also. I took the complete lower clamp to a machine shop which made a new, next smaller thread on the stem. I think original is an M24x1,5 and we changed to M22x1 or M22x1,5. I´m not really sure. Then he made a new nut out of stainless steal and finally everything worked great. This was 1 year ago and i had not one problem. To strip that nut is really easy. A little bit dirt, close and open the nut a few times and the thread combnation of steal and aluminum is gone.

Martin

Hello, i stripped the thread of the stem also. I took the complete lower clamp to a machine shop which made a new, next smaller thread on the stem. I think original is an M24x1,5 and we changed to M22x1 or M22x1,5. I´m not really sure. Then he made a new nut out of stainless steal and finally everything worked great. This was 1 year ago and i had not one problem. To strip that nut is really easy. A little bit dirt, close and open the nut a few times and the thread combnation of steal and aluminum is gone.

Martin

The threads on the nut would go before the stem correct? The nut is softer.....

Can the Sterring stem be purchased separatly from the lower clamp?

the nuts were steel then,i believe my 05 has an aluminum nut? you cannot get it seperate from yamaha(the assmbly is $380!). applied makes a lower clamp with a tougher stem i think i paid around $140 for the both. you can buy the applied stem seperate,BUT it won't fit into a stock clamp :)

Thanks guys!

NCMM, Ive got an Applied top clamp. Maybe I should just spring for the matching set. It's a tough one though, stockers are going for $30 to $40 on ebay. Hmm...

the nuts were steel then,i believe my 05 has an aluminum nut? you cannot get it seperate from yamaha(the assmbly is $380!). applied makes a lower clamp with a tougher stem i think i paid around $140 for the both. you can buy the applied stem seperate,BUT it won't fit into a stock clamp :)

NC you are right - they were steel until 03 I believe. Wow that is expensive - forget oem...go aftermarket. :)