HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kpmnc24

Can I add an ignition key to a XR650R?

21 posts in this topic

I was wondering if I can somehow add a key system to an XR650R? This would be in addition to a dual sport kit. I don't want the bike to be able to be ridden off while it's sitting in a parking lot.

an ignition key that would shut off the spark plug? you cant put an electric start on it if thats what you are asking but you could probably rig something up that would shut off the spark plug? not sure

there's a guy on ebay that sells a unit for @60$. it appears to be a factory

ignition from some other bike. it looks rather easy to install on a stock bike, but i'm not sure about bikes with street legal kits.

You can get a factory keyed ignition switch for around $17.00 from servicehonda

Part number 35010-GCF-A20

Its works on the stop button circuit, not the spark wire.

You can get a factory keyed ignition switch for around $17.00 from servicehonda

Part number 35010-GCF-A20

Its works on the stop button circuit, not the spark wire.

$17 seems pretty cheap, I saw one go on ebay for ~$50.

I'm going to call honda right now.

$26.14 is what I got quoted, but the parts guy on the other end didn't seem too bright, nor understood what I was trying to do.

Is part# 35010-GCF-A20 from the xr650l? I was just wondering. I may call another honda dealer tomorrow.

Can't any bike with a key be easily hotwired?

I don't plan on leaving the bike unattended for long periods of time or in bad areas.

I wouldn't mind a key too, I have a street legal kit. Whenever I leave the bike in a parking for 5 minutes. The feeling of knowing anybody can jump on it and go

is not too good.

Just get the Electrex Dakkar Dual Sport Kit. It comes with a key for on/off. I have it on my XR650R and the whole system is holding up great! Ocotillo Wells torture tested!

hmm $26 from the dealer, $45 from ebay, it's usually the other way around.

Hey rokatt88 where did you get your Electrex Dakkar Dual Sport Kit, and can the key be purchased separately?

The electrex dakar kit has a key switch integrated on their circuit board that protrudes through their housing on the side which is part of their headlight assembly. I also have a couple of these kits and they've been working out very well for me :)

If $26 if too much for you, then buy a simple toggle switch and wire it to the kill switch. Hide this toggle switch so that the average person won't find it and it will make things a bit more difficult for some theives. It should clost less than $10 for such a switch, wire, terminals, etc. Just don't put too much faith in electrically disabling your bike whether its a key switch, toggle switch, etc, because somebody can always come a long and put your bike in the back of a truck with the help of a couple guys and be gone in seconds.

Seems like you could hide a small toggle switch somewhere that worked off of the kill switch circuit. For those quick trips into the store, I just give the throttle 5 or 6 good twists... buys me a good 10 min :)

Seems like you could hide a small toggle switch somewhere that worked off of the kill switch circuit. For those quick trips into the store, I just give the throttle 5 or 6 good twists... buys me a good 10 min :)

LOL

I have a switch, I just haven' installed it yet. I might hold up and get a key. The bike is a pig, but it's the lightest bike ive ever owned, and it would be too easy to throw it in the back of a truck.

I would drop it on its side and then stand it back up before i went in shopping that should do the trick :)

The key would fool everyone not smart enough to twist two wires together.

Actually, CDI ignitions are 'ON' unless grounded out. You just have to cut or unplug a wire on bikes like the XR's.

Thanks, next time I see an xr with a key switch I'll cut the wires instead of twisting them together! :) I learn so much on TT.

I deal alot with Pro Tech and as I am going to get this bike I asked if he could rig this system up for me and he told me that it would just take abit of work, but could be done

Also, it does not hurt to carry a lock for the bike as well

I do that with my DRZ400S, just for the extra security

Derick