HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
superjeffro

speedometer for dirtbike

13 posts in this topic

Trailtech makes one...I haven't used them, but do a search here and you'll find that there are some reliability problems. Cost about 75 bucks. I put a CatEye Enduro-II on my WR. It's a heck of a lot cheaper (25 bucks), and so far seems to be holding up fine (200 miles on it). I did have to add some length to the wires, though...

I got the Trailtech, very accurate but the mount broke in less than 2 months, maybe just defective I dont know. I did use the Billet protector and my bike hasnt seen offroad so it should never have broke. They do have a good warrenty though. If you do get one, I would reccomend not taking it out of the quick release because thats the weak link.

ive had 2 trail techs, both have screwed up.............

What happened to them?

Go to the bicycle shop. Got one for ten dollars. So far, holding up really well. Doesn't get much cheaper. Easy to mount, Fairly accurate, Reliable.

trail tech makes a good one...but on the '06 wr models yamaha introduced a computer that calculates all that good stuff a trail rider loves to know like speed, mileage, etc.

do the MTN bike speedo's have a long enuf cable and how do you mount the magnet onto the wheel /rotor?

No, the cable isn't long enough out of the box. You have to splice in a section. Speaker wire works fine. Solder and heatr shrink the splices, don't rely on crimps.

The magnet depends on the type. My Cat-Eye actually mounted to the spokes the same way they do on a bicycle.

Anyone ever crash due to checking out your speed on those lil gadgets? lol I can imagine my lil brother saying " I was going 43.4 mph when I ran into that tree"

I know cyclists that have.

The cool thing about the bicycle units is that you can program them for a wide variety of wheel sizes. You can make your bike go 100mph in 3rd gear if you program it right. :)

Anyone ever crash due to checking out your speed on those lil gadgets? lol I can imagine my lil brother saying " I was going 43.4 mph when I ran into that tree"

i race MTN bikes and am a number junky. I have to know how fast I am going, my heart rate and my RPMs on the cranks. I have been fortunate in that i never have to look at my speedo while wrecking. I usually go to the max speed part of it and see how stoopid fast i was going when i wrecked since i most often crash and burn on the fastest part of the ride or course. I've broken many of speedos on the pedal bike. Ill have to give it a try on the dirt bike though, and at like 15 bucks a pop, most everyone can afford to break a few.